Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ludovic Pénet <l....@senat.fr> on 2015/09/01 00:05:33 UTC

Re: How do LockOutRealms work ?

The points you raise are, of course real and important.
I would probably decide the same as you for a high profile, publicly available application.

I however most often have to develop complex apps only used by, at most, 100s of corporate users.

I know perimetric security is less and less fashionable but on our intranet, I still feel comfortable with more info for the user, ideally coupled with an alert to the support team when an account is temporarily locked.

In the FormAuthenticator valve, you have a parameter to disable session change on auth https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html#Form_Authenticator_Valve/Attributes

This enables session fixation attacks, which seems to be a much more serious threat to me. ;)

Thanks any way, you gave us pointers on how to implement a custom auth valve, which I might end coding.

With kind regards,