Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/05 18:27:52 UTC

Entry, Message, review and refactoring

Hi guys,

as Kiran told us this week, we have some issues with the current Entry
API : the fact that we have a Client and a Server type of Entry is
cumbersome and forbid us to injct the schema in the ldap API.

We also have some issues on the Message hierarchy, as we now have 3 of
them :
- the Internal Message hierarchy (the one we use in the server)
- the Codec Message Hierarchy (the one we use for encoding and decoding
messages)
- the API Message Hierarchy

Totally overkilling. We have discussed a bit about the reason why we
have different hierarchies, and one o them was due to the way the
decoder is working. I think we can alleviate this difference and merge
those two hierarchies in one, and then remove the need of a transformer.

If so, we will be able to remove the API hierarchy too, and use the same
one. Much, much better.

Last, not least, using decorators and visitors, we may be able to
separate the encoding from the current messages. Right now, each message
knows how to encode itself. It's ok, to a certain extents, but if we
want to encode a message tp LDIF or DSML, we have to redo the same work
again in a specific way. What we want to do is to extract the ASN.1
encoding from the base Message hierarchy and make it a separate process.
We have done some experiment years ago, but the result was at least 2
times slower. I think we can make it as fast.

So these are the things we may work on for the next few days. I don't
think it will take ages, probably one week.

thoughts ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com