Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Daniel Godefroy <dg...@gexperthaiti.com> on 2017/05/19 01:33:39 UTC

using Derby in an internet server

I would like to use Derby and a Java program from an internet server. I
would like to set up teh system on this internet machine and have ths
cleints log into it ether through a browser or therough a remote access
without having to install anything on their local computer. Is this
possible? If yes how should i set it up.

I mean

1- install Derby on the internet machine?

2- install Java on the internet machine or should i install Java server?

3- install the application (java executable jar file) software on the
internet machine?
4- How do I make the remote access?

I am not very familiar with UNIX but this is what i have access to an
internet machine.

Thank you for your consideration.

--
Daniel Godefroy
Consultant en informatique de gestion

Re: using Derby in an internet server

Posted by John English <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 19/05/2017 04:33, Daniel Godefroy wrote:
> I would like to use Derby and a Java program from an internet server. I
> would like to set up teh system on this internet machine and have ths
> cleints log into it ether through a browser or therough a remote access
> without having to install anything on their local computer. Is this
> possible? If yes how should i set it up.

Assuming your Java program is a servlet...
1) Install a servlet container (Jetty, Tomcat, whatever).
2) Deploy your servlet.
3) Copy derby.jar to your servlet's WEB-INF/lib directory.

Otherwise:
1) Install a web server (e.g. Apache) and arrange for your program to be
invoked via e.g. CGI (in which case the program needs to generate a
valid HTTP response, headers and all).
2) Make sure that derby.jar is in your program's classpath.

Your client then uses a web browser to talk to your server, and your
server uses
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:path/to/your/database") to get a
connection to your database.
--
John English