Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com> on 2013/04/11 02:00:05 UTC

RE: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Hello All,

I've uploaded a design for an internal about page at the link below. For simplicity sake, we can just swap out the header image and add whichever content is needed for each section of the site.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Apache+website+redesign+proposal?focusedCommentId=30758521&#comment-30758521

To answer a few questions that came briefly:

-Yes I will provide whatever graphical assets are needed(fonts, psd files, header images, etc...)
-I'm ok with this being a responsive or fluid design, we will just need a developer that can do this
-Please feel free to chip in with spacing or styling the css ;)

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
Ooh, the Kerning, spacing/margins are all so much prettier!

2 things I noticed:

--Features And Functionality header has spacing issues above it

--People of Apache CloudStack header has spacing issues above and below

This was viewed on FF 19.0.2

+1 I approve

-kd

RE: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.
This looks really nice. Simple and clean design.

I like the header image, nice combination between aesthetically pleasing and tech stuff.

Cheers,

Hugo

Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Looks good, with one comment:

The "About" image font selection seems to be disjointed from the rest of
the fonts, especially when compared with the look of the index page (the
image right above).  I'm a fan of the font selected for the images on
that index page.

-chip

RE: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

[Animesh>] Ok thanks for clarifying

Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013, at 02:08 PM, Pierre-Luc Bisaillon wrote:
> Re: flow. I did another review of recent posts and I did find a similar
> post from Mark (pasted below) but no consensus. I will put something
> together and share. Maybe on this page?
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Website+Resources+and+Proposals#WebsiteResourcesandProposals-ContentThatLivesontheMainSite

Will this conflict with the primary front page design that Sonny has
proposed? Because that's been in front of the marketing@ list for a
while.

That page is fine for any additional proposals, etc., though.

> Re: case studies. I think this warrants further discussion (separate
> thread?). Do we agree that the main purpose here is to get as many people
> to use CloudStack? If so, then are we afraid by the fact that some people
> would shy away from CloudStack if they see corporate influence? But don't
> we think that *more* people would be convinced of using it if they did
> see case studies?

Yes, I think a separate thread is best. I don't know that I can sum up
all of the rationale for everyone who weighed in previously in answer to
your second question.

Honestly, I think case studies on the CloudStack.org site are of limited
value. Really, if we want to reach a maximal audience we should be
discussing ways to get case studies covered elsewhere and in front of
influencers rather than where they live on CloudStack.org or the wiki.

Best,

jzb

Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Pierre-Luc Bisaillon <pb...@cloudops.com>.
Joe,

Re: flow. I did another review of recent posts and I did find a similar
post from Mark (pasted below) but no consensus. I will put something
together and share. Maybe on this page?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Website+Resources+and+Proposals#WebsiteResourcesandProposals-ContentThatLivesontheMainSite

Re: case studies. I think this warrants further discussion (separate
thread?). Do we agree that the main purpose here is to get as many people
to use CloudStack? If so, then are we afraid by the fact that some people
would shy away from CloudStack if they see corporate influence? But don't
we think that *more* people would be convinced of using it if they did see
case studies?

[previous comments from Mark]
- Prospects - Potential users that come to CS.org and want to learn
screenshots, feature list, video webcast, case studies of successful users
etc.
- User - Resources for users including user guides, documentation, support
mechanisms, IRC logs etc.
- Developers - Users who want to extend or integrate with CloudStack
including developer guide, wiki links to integrated technologies (e.g.
Puppet Manifests, Chef Cookbooks, Nagios Plugins, etc.)

I think that should be a design point should lead each type of user down
the path. Right now we provide a smorgasbord and users of the site pick
their own adventure. Perhaps we should be more prescriptive to help
improve their success.  I know Sonny floated a design already but I don't
think it addressed these points specifically. Maybe we could take the
feedback from this thread and have him do a rough wire frame and critique
it to get to where we need to be.

Take care,

PL

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013, at 01:02 PM, Pierre-Luc Bisaillon wrote:
> > 2. Joe I know there is a risk of bias in putting case studies here vs.
> > the wiki, but is there an opportunity to define a framework for review?
>
> We've had discussions on this previously, and the consensus was we'd not
> want to get into trying to define this, if I recall correctly.
>
> But if you think you can define a framework that makes sense, I'd
> encourage you to propose that and raise the discussion in a new thread
> so everybody can weigh in. Maybe there's a way to do it and we can
> achieve consensus on it. What we don't want to do is keep raising the
> question every time we talk about the site - so if we could have the
> discussion in a well-defined way and come to a consensus now, that'd be
> excellent.
>
> > CloudStack has impressive success stories but I think they are not told
> > enough. Are you worried about actual corporate influence or the
> > *appearance* of corporate influence?
>
> Both. :-) Sometimes the appearance of influence is just as bad. Being a
> project that started out from a single entity means you have to work
> pretty hard to shake that perception.
>
> Best,
>
> jzb
> --
> Joe Brockmeier
> jzb@zonker.net
> Twitter: @jzb
> http://www.dissociatedpress.net/

--
Pierre-Luc Bisaillon
VP produits / VP Product
pbisaillon@cloudops.com
[c]  (438) 989-3121
[twitter] @pierreluc09
[www] about.me/pierrelucbisaillon
--
CloudOps
420 rue Guy, Montréal QC H3J 1S6

Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Pierre

+1 on the first two points

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541<tel:+44%2020%203603%200541> | M: +44 796 111 2055<tel:+44%20796%20111%202055>
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>

On 12 Apr 2013, at 19:03, "Pierre-Luc Bisaillon" <pb...@cloudops.com>> wrote:

Team,

Great to see the design evolving. I really like the top-half and banner. A
few points:
1. On the last thread Joe asked about "user stories" and I think there is
an opportunity to better segment the incoming visitors based on their
interest. In a way that's what the middle of the page does but it's not
always clear (e.g. Getting Started in this case seems to be a link for
developers, and then "Take CloudStack for a spin" for IT users. I think the
3 main types of visitors are likely to be:
- general business and IT people who have heard about it and want to know
more about it
- IT people looking to install it
- Developers who might be interested in contributing to it

Would be great to clearly direct this traffic to information that these
audiences would be looking for. I think we're close with the sub-text of
the bottom menu, but could make it clearer.

We seem to dedicate a large real estate to developers (whereas, for
example, OpenStack has it as a sub-section under Community).

2. Joe I know there is a risk of bias in putting case studies here vs. the
wiki, but is there an opportunity to define a framework for review?
CloudStack has impressive success stories but I think they are not told
enough. Are you worried about actual corporate influence or the
*appearance* of corporate influence?

3. Personally I'm not a fan of the font or the color choices in the bottom
section, but can't quite justify why :-) and I know that too much personal
feedback is not good!
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

Great work and looking forward to the launch,

PL

jzb@zonker.net<ma...@zonker.net>

pbisaillon@cloudops.com<ma...@cloudops.com>
www.cloudops.com<http://www.cloudops.com>
[twitter] @CloudOps_
[facebook] http://bit.ly/cloudopsmontreal
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2

Posted by Pierre-Luc Bisaillon <pb...@cloudops.com>.
Team,

Re: [DISCUSS] Website Mock-Up #2