Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Hen <ba...@apache.org> on 2017/12/04 00:08:37 UTC

Note on when to Delete GitHub Comments

I added a note to the Development Process GitHub on when to delete GitHub
comments:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Development+Process

Basically a reminder that it should be a PMC decision, or if needing to
move quickly a decision of the PMC Chair (mentors while a podling).

Mentioning here to encourage discussion/edit proposals if needed.

---

That gives me a chance to mention a PMC Chair's role.

When MXNet graduates, one of the initial PMC members will be nominated to
the board to be the chair. That chair is a VP/Officer of the 501(c)(3) and
is the one who is ultimately responsible to the board for the project. Very
occasionally a chair may have to do something without consulting with the
PMC as a whole, and they're expected to get it right.

Hen

Re: Note on when to Delete GitHub Comments

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Am 4. Dezember 2017 01:08:37 MEZ schrieb Hen <ba...@apache.org>:

>That gives me a chance to mention a PMC Chair's role.
>
>When MXNet graduates, one of the initial PMC members will be nominated
>the board to be the chair. That chair is a VP/Officer of the 501(c)(3)
>and
>is the one who is ultimately responsible to the board for the project.
>Very
>occasionally a chair may have to do something without consulting with
>the
>PMC as a whole, and they're expected to get it right.

Some context on the duties of PMC chair:

https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

http://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs.html

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

Hope this helps though being a lot of text to go through.

Isabel

Re: Note on when to Delete GitHub Comments

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Am 4. Dezember 2017 01:08:37 MEZ schrieb Hen <ba...@apache.org>:
>Basically a reminder that it should be a PMC decision, or if needing to
>move quickly a decision of the PMC Chair (mentors while a podling).

Remember that for provenance reasons all communication on github is mirrored on Apache servers in its own mailing list so you don't need to be afraid you loose information by accidentally clicking some delete button.

That's important to remember in particular if someone accidentally disclosed sensitive information e.g. as part of some bug report.

See here for more on that: http://apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html

See here for mailing list archives including your own (click through to a specific list to get to the search interface, you can search all the way through the entire history of the foundation's communication, powered by ponymail):
https://lists.apache.org

If you'd like to improve ponymail, your patches are welcome. See here:
https://ponymail.incubator.apache.org

Isabel