Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> on 2003/10/26 13:02:27 UTC

Re: Velocity powered Websites - request

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 11:23 AM, Matthew Walker wrote:

> Apologies for noise contribution
>
> The document, http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/powered.html,
> explains that I should e-mail this list to request my site to be added
> to the 'Velocity Powered Websites' section of
> jakarta,apache.org/velocity. With that said, data is below:

> Created By: OAS (http://www.oasportal.com/)

Done

> Also, (and more to the recipients out there), I would like to discuss
> this graphic, http://tbjug.org/images/velocity_diagram.png, which
> depicts a (high level) design of the site and how velocity is
> involved. This is my first velocity implementation and I'm wondering
> if any experienced archs out there see this as absurd, (or not).
> For clarification, the servlet inheritance allows me to easily append
> logic to the site by simply extending TBVelocityServlet. The
> descendants are only tasked with going about their business and adding
> stuff to the Context and can be blissfully ignorant of which template
> to load. I feel comfortable with this from an MVC perspective since my
> servlets are all Model. This is the way it should be, and I'm
> beginning to forget what life was like before velocity. Anyway, I'm
> very eager to see if other people have used similar designs. Of
> course, using tbjug.org and keeping an eye on one's URI should support
> the graphic's flow of things if further clarification is needed.

Looking at the graphic now, that seems good.  I tend to do things the
same way.  I have a base servlet that deals with velocity stuff, and
just extend it for the specific uses.  I use a cheap little 'action
model' using reflection, and while admittedly cheesy, it does get done
what I want to get done very simply.

geir

geirm@optonline.net