Posted to user@storm.apache.org by I PVP <ip...@hotmail.com> on 2016/03/23 20:04:11 UTC

How to deploy dozens of topologies to production

Hi everyone,

I am new to Storm.

Whats is the correct way to submit topology(ies) to production cluster and  make/leave the topologies running indefinitely  ?

Considering that I will have dozens of topologies,  what is the proper way to submit them in an efficient fashion ?

I have my topologies running fine on local machine and also running fine when I use the $STORM_HOME/bin/storm jar <jarfile> <tipology class>. But the command line must remain open for them to run. If I do control+c to release the command line  the Topology stops running.

The Storm UI is not showing the running topologies, but they are running  for sure via $STORM_HOME/bin/storm jar.
The "$STORM_HOME/bin/storm list" is not showing the running topologies.

I did read the documentation http://storm.apache.org/documentation/Running-topologies-on-a-production-cluster.html.

Is creating a class that calls StormSubmitter.submitTopology() from the main method for each topology  that way to do it ?

Thanks

IPVP

Re: How to deploy dozens of topologies to production

Posted by I PVP <ip...@hotmail.com>.
Erik,

You are correct.
I was using the LocalCluster. Using StormSubmitter.submitTopology) everything works fine.

Thanks for helping!

--
IPVP

From: Erik Weathers <ew...@groupon.com>
Reply: user@storm.apache.org <us...@storm.apache.org>
Date: March 23, 2016 at 4:24:33 PM
To: user@storm.apache.org <us...@storm.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: How to deploy dozens of topologies to production

hey IPVP,

Sounds like you are using Storm's "LocalCluster", which runs the entire storm environment inside a single process.
So yes, in the class passed to "bin/storm jar", the main() method should be using StormSubmitter.submitTopology() to launch the topology into your "real" cluster.

- Erik

Posted by Erik Weathers <ew...@groupon.com>.
hey IPVP,