Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/27 07:37:38 UTC

updating jakarta site

Would anyone mind me changing jakarta.apache.org to switch Lucene to TLP there?

Mainly this would involve:

Addition of news item concerning promotion
Movement of Lucene from Subprojects to Ex-Jakarta
Movement of Lucene on java@apache page
Removal of Lucene from front-page table (main content)
Removal of Lucene from CVS/SVN page
Removal of Lucene from Download pages
Removal of Lucene from FAQ page (amongst other cleanup)
Modification of http://wiki.apache.org/general/FrontPage
Redirect of jakarta.apache.org/lucene to lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html

When you have a separate mail page, we can then:

Strike-through of Lucene from mail-index

Obvious other changes to the Lucene site that I assume you're planning are:

Separate mail page
Change Jakarta logo in top left to Apache
Remove paragraph concerning Jakarta on front page
Remove 'Bugs' link
Change welcome to say Apache where it says Apache Jakarta.

Hen

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
There is a pending JIRA issue for Lucene e-mail lists here:

	http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-195

Please adjust it and prod infrastructure when agreement is made on the
lists.  I prefer a single commits list for now, but no problem if the
consensus is to separate them.

	Erik

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> Actually, currently we've got both lucene4c and java commits going to
>> commits@lucene.apache.org, and there was some talk of just leaving it
>> that way, since it isn't that much traffic and it encourages people to
>> keep an eye on what's going on in other languages.
>

> I think that's a bad idea.  Once there are lots of commits folks will
> start unsubscribing or ignoring things.  Personally I only want to see
> commits for projects that I'm actively contributing to.  I don't
> anticipate I'll be comitting to lucene4c, so I don't feel the need to
> track it on a commit-by-commit level.  I do anticipate I'll make commits
> to Lucene Java, and try to carefully read every commit message for this
> project.  Yes, I could set up filters so that I only see the commits I
> like, but I'd much prefer these were simply separate mailing lists. Soon
> we hope to have Nutch under Lucene's umbrella.  Do you and Erik really
> want to see all of the Nutch commits in your inbox?

I don't personally object to seeing all the Nutch commits, but I can see
how people would, so I don't object to splitting up the lists if thats
what others want to do.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/nutch-cvs%40lists.sourceforge.net/
>
> We keep running into this same confusion: I think that the Lucene TLP
> should be setup primarily as a container of sub-projects.  Jakarta
> Lucene is the first of these and Lucene4c is the second.  We don't
> intend to merge Jakarta Lucene and Lucene4c into a single project, with
> the single set of developers, building a single download.  So each
> component of Jakarta Lucene should be moved to a sub-component of Lucene
> TLP, not to a top-level component.  This is the case for bug databases,
> mailing lists, web sites, etc. across the board.  Do we disagree on this?

Makes sense to me.

-garrett

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Your download page is already separate, you're using the global closer.cgi file.

Hen

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Either should work.

The SVN version does maintain the site.vsl and the lib/ that some of
the other Jakarta sites use (though the Jakarta site itself no longer
uses them).

I just happily built the Regexp site using the SVN versions.

There are a handful of sites out there dependent on the site.vsl
(James, Tomcat, BCEL, BSF, Regexp). While it's a shame to duplicate
the functionality across modules; we're also increasingly decoupled
from each other and the dependency on the jakarta site module becomes
a restriction.

James have forked their site.vsl off for a different l&f. I switched
the jakarta site to XSL to avoid the need for dependency jars
(slightly bit me in the arse under 1.4, but in 1.5 it's very nice).

Hen

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> When Doug is cool with re-enabling the redirect, it's fine with me.

I'm cool with it if it works.  Why not re-enable it, search for
"site:apache.org lucene" on Google, Yahoo! and MSN, and click on the
first few links.  If these work, then I'm okay with the redirect.

As we change stuff like this, we should try to change things only once,
rather than a temporary change that might not be appropriate long-term.
  This is especially the case with things like URLs & email addresses,
that get saved in mail archives, web indexes, etc.  The fewer times we
change them the less we'll break things.  Thankfully "jakarta" never
made it into a package name!

Doug

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 1, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>>> Redirect of jakarta.apache.org/lucene to
>>> lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html
>> I noticed there's a commented out redirect in the .htaccess, so after
>> adding my own I deleted it again and left the redirect off for the
>> moment. Unsure if there's a reason the commented out bit is there and
>> lucene.apache.org/java and jakarta.apache.org/lucene look to be clones
>> currently (barring the extra news item at lucene.apache.org).
>
> When the redirect was first put into place there were some broken
> links at lucene.apache.org/java, so the redirect be removed until the
> links were fixed.  I think the links were fixed but the redirect was
> never restored.

I put in the original redirect and later commented it out.

There was also an issue with DNS of lucene.apache.org, which has been
cleared up.  If there are still issues with the lucene.apache.org/java
site, let me know and I'll try to fix it, but it should be mostly fine.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: updating jakarta site

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:37:38 -0500, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would anyone mind me changing jakarta.apache.org to switch Lucene to TLP there?
>
> Mainly this would involve:
>
> Addition of news item concerning promotion
> Movement of Lucene from Subprojects to Ex-Jakarta
> Movement of Lucene on java@apache page
> Removal of Lucene from front-page table (main content)
> Removal of Lucene from CVS/SVN page
> Removal of Lucene from Download pages
> Removal of Lucene from FAQ page (amongst other cleanup)

All of the above are done.

> Modification of http://wiki.apache.org/general/FrontPage

I changed the structure, but not the actual wiki link. Unsure if
Lucene has a new wiki yet, or if it's migration is on the todo list.

> Redirect of jakarta.apache.org/lucene to lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html

I noticed there's a commented out redirect in the .htaccess, so after
adding my own I deleted it again and left the redirect off for the
moment. Unsure if there's a reason the commented out bit is there and
lucene.apache.org/java and jakarta.apache.org/lucene look to be clones
currently (barring the extra news item at lucene.apache.org).

Whenever the redirect gets put in place, need to remember to rm -r the
jakarta/lucene dir.

> When you have a separate mail page, we can then:
>
> Strike-through of Lucene from mail-index

Will keep an eye out for when you have your own one of these.

Hen