Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/02/13 17:29:11 UTC

[VOTE] Promote ResourceLimitingPool to Excalibur proper

The tests on the ResourceLimitingPool prove that it scales much better than the
other pools we have.  After we promote ResourceLimitingPool, I also propose that
we make the PoolableComponentHandler in the ECM use that pool instead of the
one it does now.  This will massively help scalibility issues when you have
many simultaneous clients.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [VOTE] Promote ResourceLimitingPool to Excalibur proper

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@silveregg.co.jp>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Leif, since it's your class, do you want to do the honors?  It requires
> moving the source files to the java/org... structure and the test source
> files to the test/org... structure.
>
> Also changing the Pool type to ResourceLimitingPool for the
> PoolableComponentHandler.

Ok, this is all done.  Please take a look at the new Javadocs for
PoolableComponentHandler  and let me now if you have any comments.  The
new implementation now allows all of the ResourceLimitingPool features
to be configured.

I deprecated the DefaultComponentPool and DefaultComponentPoolController
because they are no longer being used within excalibur.  They are pretty
specific to the old implementation of PoolableComponentHandler, but I
figured that there is some chance that someone out there could be using
them...

Also put a few tests in to make sure this all works.

Cheers,
Leif

Re: [VOTE] Promote ResourceLimitingPool to Excalibur proper

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> +1
>
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> The tests on the ResourceLimitingPool prove that it scales much better
>> than the
>> other pools we have.  After we promote ResourceLimitingPool, I also
>> propose that
>> we make the PoolableComponentHandler in the ECM use that pool instead
>> of the
>> one it does now.  This will massively help scalibility issues when you
>> have
>> many simultaneous clients.

Leif, since it's your class, do you want to do the honors?  It requires
moving the source files to the java/org... structure and the test source
files to the test/org... structure.

Also changing the Pool type to ResourceLimitingPool for the PoolableComponentHandler.

:)

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@silveregg.co.jp>.
+1

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
just read your mail in cocoon
+1

  ~Gerhard

My parents have been visiting me for a few days.
I just dropped them off at the airport.
They leave tomorrow.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.