Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Kumaran Arul <AK...@woolworths.com.au> on 2007/10/12 10:12:04 UTC

MINA TCP/IP server clustering

Hi

Has anyone got any experience with clustering MINA servers at a JVM
level?

How can we replicate IoSessions? Would Terracotta be a good choice?

Any lead or tips will be greatly appreciated?

Regards
Arul

CAUTION: This email and files included in its transmission
are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s) and may
contain information that is confidential and privileged.
If you receive this email in error, please advise us
immediately and delete it without copying the contents
contained within. Woolworths Limited (including its group
of companies) do not accept liability for the views
expressed within or the consequences of any computer
viruses that may be transmitted with this email. The
contents are also subject to copyright. No part of it
should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the
written consent of the copyright owner.

Re: MINA TCP/IP server clustering

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.
On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:12 AM, Kumaran Arul wrote:

> Hi
>

> Has anyone got any experience with clustering MINA servers at a JVM
> level?
>
> How can we replicate IoSessions?

Erm...  unless MINA has added SCTP support, an IoSession is rather
bound to a single host/port which doesn't lend itself to replication
very well, I don't think.

-Brian

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I wrote an implementation of GCache (Geronimo Cache) that is in the
Geronimo sandbox.  Its a clustering implementation based on Mina.  Its
nto complete yet, but it gives you an idea.

It is not JVM level, since it API based.  If you are looking for an open
source impl for a JVM based clustering container, have a look at Terracotta.

Jeff

Posted by Eero Nevalainen <ee...@indagon.com>.
Kumaran Arul wrote:
> Hi
>

> Has anyone got any experience with clustering MINA servers at a JVM
> level?
>
> How can we replicate IoSessions? Would Terracotta be a good choice?
>
> Any lead or tips will be greatly appreciated?

A google with the keywords " load balancing terracotta " confirmed my
earlier understanding
http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/wiki/Load+Balancers

That is, Terracotta shares all data between the machines so it therefore
doesn't do load balancing.

Of course if you are looking for something else than load balancing,
Terracotta might do what you want. It all depends on what you want to
achieve with the clustering.

-Eero