Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carlos <li...@lpis.com> on 2000/11/23 09:29:17 UTC

precompilations

Is Possible the tomcat precompile the pages?
there is any precompilation mode?
there is anything to precompile?
what means <load-servlet-on-startup> ?
thanks
Carlos

Re: JspC HOW-TO? (Was precompilations)

Posted by "Ramesh Kumar . T" <ra...@india.adventnet.com>.
Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 01:29:58PM -0600, Mike La Budde wrote:
> > OK, I'm stumped! How do I use JspC to precompile a specific (or all of the)
> > .jsp file(s)?
> >
> > I've tried the following:
> >
> > jspc -uriroot c:\sfwr\tomcat\webapps\examples
> > -webapp  c:\sfwr\tomcat\webapps\examples
> > c:\sfwr\tomcat\webapps\examples\jsp\num\numguess.jsp
> >
> > and various other tries w/out success....
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Mike
>
> Dear Mike,
>
>         It might help if you post what kind of error you are getting,
> or what happens when you try.
>
> For me,
>
> tomcat.sh jspc -v -d /usr/local/tomcat/work/localhost_8080%2Fcontextname -webapp /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/myapp
>
> works, it converts my *.jsp files to *.java files (which I
> understand now contain the servlet source code).
>
>         What I'm looking for is a tool to convert the servlet
> source code to servlet classes, using the unique-class-name generation
> algorithm described in
> http://archives2.real-time.com/pipermail/tomcat-users/2000-August/008481.html
> so Tomcat doesn't have to do this work itself when it starts.

You do not have to search for any tool.
you can compile the java files using "javac"
and give a mapping in the web.xml for each contexts
ex:
say the file name is test.jsp then an entry like this in web.xml
<web-app>
   <servlet>
                <servlet-name>jsp.test</servlet-name>
                <servlet-class>jsp.test</servlet-class>
        </servlet>
         <servlet-mapping>
                <url-pattern>/jsp/test</url-pattern>
                <servlet-name>jsp.test</servlet-name>
        </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

This is automatically done if you use -webinf -webxml options in Jspc.sh/bat files

so all you hae to do is just  run jspc.sh/bat with the -webinf -webxml options

Posted by Aleksey Tsalolikhin <at...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Mike La Budde <mi...@irista.com>.

At 11/28/2000 06:50 PM -0800, you wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 06:34:01AM -0600, Michael H. La Budde wrote:
> > At 11/23/2000 09:29 AM +0100, you wrote:
> > >Is Possible the tomcat precompile the pages?
> > >there is any precompilation mode?
> > >there is anything to precompile?
> >
> > Here are two possibilities for precompiling all your jsp pages so that
> > users won't have to incur that overhead:
> >
> > 1) Take a look at conf/test-tomcat.xml in your tomcat distribution.
> This is
> > an ant build file which is used to exercize the test context. You
> should be
> > able to easily clone this to execute your own...
> >
> > 2) Download Apache JMeter and put together the necessary test scenarios to
> > run your app (thus, once again, precompiling your pages).
>
>Hi,
>
>         I have observed the following under Tomcat 3.2b8/Sun JDK
> 1.2.2_06, with
>our application under simulated load of 50 users registering:
>
>         Unless the registration .jsp's are already compiled into classes (by
>manually going through a registration first), Tomcat starts giving 500
>errors about a minute or two into the run.
>
>         If we go through a registration manually first, and then start the
>load test, it runs just fine.
>
>         I've figured out how to use "tomcat.sh jspc" to populate the
>context's work directory with .java files, but I can't just turn on
>Tomcat and let ant or JMeter PLUS the user load kill the server; and
>I don't understand the naming scheme algorithm used to generate the
>*.class files in the work directory.
>
>         Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Aleksey
>
>P.S. BTW, Tomcat 3.2b8 FAR FAR outperforms Tomcat 3.1, in terms
>of stability under load.  Fantastic!  Kudos to the developers.

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - */
  Michael H. La Budde                    email:  mike.labudde@irista.com
  Prosoft, Inc.                                  phone:  414-860-6509
  mike@prosoft-inc.com           fax:    414-860-7014
/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - */

Re: precompilations

Posted by Aleksey Tsalolikhin <at...@earthlink.net>.

Re: precompilations

Posted by Carlos <li...@lpis.com>.
 the <load-servlet-on-startup> how can i configure for precompiling my all
jsp pages whe tomcat starts up?
where i can configure it? how?
can anybody help me?
thanks.
Carlos
If you can send me any sammple... thanks

Re: precompilations

Posted by Carlos <li...@lpis.com>.
if i have a jsp paga(1.jsp) how precompile it with jspc.sh?
thanks

Re: precompilations

Posted by Miles Daffin <mi...@cwcom.net>.
Dear Ramesh,

The argument string is seemingly being converted after it has been sent.
--
E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7\bin>jspc E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7\webapps\examples\jsp\snp\snoop.jsp
Including all jars in ..\lib in your CLASSPATH.

Using CLASSPATH: ..\classes;..\lib\ant.jar;..\lib\jasper.jar;..\lib\jaxp.jar;..\lib\parser.jar;..\lib\servlet.jar;..\lib\webserver.jar;D:\Tools\Junit3
2\junit.jar;C:\IBMDebug\lib\dertrjrt.jar;.;C:\SQLLIB\java\db2java.zip;C:\SQLLIB\java\runtime.zip;;D:\JDKs\Sun1.3\lib\tools.jar

2000-11-25 10:23:06 - The file argument 'E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7\webapps\examples\jsp\snp\jsp\snp\snoop.jsp' does not exist
--

What do you think about that??

Miles

    I have tried invoking jspc as suggested below (Windows). Have a look at what
    happens - basicly the arg file cannot be found even though it is DEFINITELY
    valid.
    --
    E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7>bin\jspc
    E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7\webapps\examples\jsp\snp\snoop.jsp
    Including all jars in .\lib in your CLASSPATH.

    Using CLASSPATH:
    .\classes;.\lib\ant.jar;.\lib\jasper.jar;.\lib\jaxp.jar;.\lib\parser.jar;.\l
    ib\servlet.jar;.\lib\webserver.jar;D:\Tools\Junit32\junit
    .jar;C:\IBMDebug\lib\dertrjrt.jar;.;C:\SQLLIB\java\db2java.zip;C:\SQLLIB\jav
    a\runtime.zip;;D:\JDKs\Sun1.3\lib\tools.jar

    2000-11-24 10:28:08 - The file argument
    'E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7\webapps\examples\jsp\snp\jsp\snp\snoop.jsp' does not exist
    E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7>
    --

    Why?

  There seems to be a problem in the  batch file check it out ,
  see the path  in bold above
    And what kind of output will I get when the file is found?

  you will get a servlet (java ) file

    Miles
Posted by "Ramesh Kumar . T" <ra...@india.adventnet.com>.

Re: precompilations

Posted by Miles Daffin <mi...@cwcom.net>.
Hi,

I have tried invoking jspc as suggested below (Windows). Have a look at what
happens - basicly the arg file cannot be found even though it is DEFINITELY
valid.
--
E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7>bin\jspc
E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7\webapps\examples\jsp\snp\snoop.jsp
Including all jars in .\lib in your CLASSPATH.

Using CLASSPATH:
.\classes;.\lib\ant.jar;.\lib\jasper.jar;.\lib\jaxp.jar;.\lib\parser.jar;.\l
ib\servlet.jar;.\lib\webserver.jar;D:\Tools\Junit32\junit
.jar;C:\IBMDebug\lib\dertrjrt.jar;.;C:\SQLLIB\java\db2java.zip;C:\SQLLIB\jav
a\runtime.zip;;D:\JDKs\Sun1.3\lib\tools.jar

2000-11-24 10:28:08 - The file argument
'E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7\webapps\examples\jsp\snp\jsp\snp\snoop.jsp' does not exist
E:\TOMCAT\3.2-b7>
--

Why? And what kind of output will I get when the file is found?

Miles

Re: precompilations

Posted by Carlos <li...@lpis.com>.
if i make it persits the problem:
 org/apache/jasper/JspC
what can i make?

Re: precompilations

Posted by "Ramesh Kumar . T" <ra...@india.adventnet.com>.

Re: precompilations

Re: precompilations

Posted by "Ramesh Kumar . T" <ra...@india.adventnet.com>.

Re: precompilations

Posted by "Michael H. La Budde" <mh...@prsft.com>.
At 11/23/2000 09:29 AM +0100, you wrote:
>Is Possible the tomcat precompile the pages?
>there is any precompilation mode?
>there is anything to precompile?

Here are two possibilities for precompiling all your jsp pages so that
users won't have to incur that overhead:

1) Take a look at conf/test-tomcat.xml in your tomcat distribution. This is
an ant build file which is used to exercize the test context. You should be
able to easily clone this to execute your own...

2) Download Apache JMeter and put together the necessary test scenarios to
run your app (thus, once again, precompiling your pages).

>what means <load-servlet-on-startup> ?

Just what it says. Your servlet will be loaded (and it's init() method
called) upon tomcat startup. The higher the number the sooner it will be
loaded. I'm not sure what the valid range of numbers is, I think I've seen
anything between -21467 and 36535....

>thanks
>Carlos

Hope this helps,