Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> on 2009/04/07 10:34:10 UTC

Sling @ JavaZone 2009

I'm thinking of submitting a presentation on Sling at this year's
JavaZone in Oslo (http://www.java.no/javazone/2009/) in September.
This could give some publicity for the project, and potentially
attract new Sling users in Norway (not to mention a free ticket to the
conference and free beer in the speaker's lounge :).

For this, I have to submit an abstract before April 15.
I'll probably go with a presentation similar to Bertrand's at
ApacheCon EU - an introduction to Sling and the technologies it is
built on, and a demo of some cool stuff you can do with sling (like
the blogging app).

Does anyone have any particular subject wishes for what should be
included in the presentation?

--
Vidar S. Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> - http://www.idium.no
Akersgata 16, N-0158 Oslo, Norway

Re: Sling @ JavaZone 2009

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> wrote:
> I'm thinking of submitting a presentation on Sling at this year's
> JavaZone in Oslo (http://www.java.no/javazone/2009/) in September...

Great!

> ...I'll probably go with a presentation similar to Bertrand's at
> ApacheCon EU - an introduction to Sling and the technologies it is
> built on, and a demo of some cool stuff you can do with sling (like
> the blogging app).
>
> Does anyone have any particular subject wishes for what should be
> included in the presentation?...

Giving more exposure to Sling's JSON storage/retrieval features might
be good - next time I give a Sling presentation I'll probably refocus
my message a bit:

-Sling uses JCR for storage (filesystem on steroids, hierarchy, rich
properties, WebDAV, observation, ...)
-Sling uses OSGi for modularity (even bundles in repository using jcrinstall)
-Sling can use scripts (many languages) or servlets to process HTTP
requests (show the nice URL decomposition)
-The Sling HTTP/JSON interface (including powerful search) enables
modern ajaxish applications

Feel free to reuse stuff for my presentation, of course.

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/bdelacretaz/rapid-jcr-applications-development-with-sling-1196003