Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Borut Bolčina <bo...@najdi.si> on 2005/09/13 10:42:01 UTC

Including HTML

Hello,

I am trying to include several auto generated HTML files with embedded
CSS styles into Forrest. I have exhausted my try-repeat cycle. Mind that
changing this HTML is not an option.

First I tried to

<map:pipelines>
  <map:pipeline>
    <map:match pattern="news/**.html">
     <map:select type="exists">
      <map:when test="{project:content}{1}.html">
        <map:read src="{project:content}{1}.html"
mime-type="text/html"/>
      </map:when>
     </map:select>
   </map:match>

so that Forrest would leave anything in the news directory with html
extension as is. My news directory is located at

    %SEED_HOME%\src\documentation\content\xdocs\interseek\sheme\news

It does not work, as HTML is rendered differently - corrupted. Next I
tried to add those external HTML file's embedded CSS to skinconf.xml
like this:

    .textElement { font-family: Courier New; font-size: 9pt; color:
    #800000; }
    .textAttr { font-family: Courier New; font-size: 9pt; color: #FF0000; }
    [more elements follow]

Nothing happened. Next I tried to load the document with class="fork"
and class="jump". Again nothing. I did stop the server in between the tries.

The best would be if this external HTML could be displayed in the main
area with its own added styles. How can I do this, if at all possible?

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Borut Bolčina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to include several auto generated HTML files with embedded
> CSS styles into Forrest. I have exhausted my try-repeat cycle. Mind that
> changing this HTML is not an option.
>
> First I tried to
>
> <map:pipelines>
>   <map:pipeline>
>     <map:match pattern="news/**.html">
>      <map:select type="exists">
>       <map:when test="{project:content}{1}.html">
>         <map:read src="{project:content}{1}.html"
> mime-type="text/html"/>
>       </map:when>
>      </map:select>
>    </map:match>
>
> so that Forrest would leave anything in the news directory with html
> extension as is. My news directory is located at
>
>     %SEED_HOME%\src\documentation\content\xdocs\interseek\sheme\news

Do the following:

mkdir seed
cd seed
forrest fresh-site
forrest
http://localhost:8888/samples/linking.html#Serving+%28X%29HTML+content+without+Skinning

You will see a more complete description (and an example) of how to do
it there.

Ross

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.

Ross Gardler wrote:

> If you want skinned content you should be aware of this known issue:

> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-394

If you are using 0.7 or before skinning will remove or change a
number of class and id attributes in the skinned file. So if your css
is not working first check to see if element in the skinned page
actually has the class or id-attributes you are expecting.

If not and the problem is IDs you could either uses the current
developer version of Forrest where most ID problems are fixed or ask
some developer to apply the fix to the id-problem that I mentioned a
few days ago in the dev forum (Rev 226492).

Or wait until I come back in two weeks and will apply that patch
myself.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@najdi.si>.
Just came back from a two hour session at the Cocoon site - it works
now. Geee. I'll go get a beer now.
-Borut

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Borut Bolčina wrote:
> we must be running different versions. I am using 0.7.

No, as my subsequent mail said, I was being stupid and not reading my
own docs properly - I'm rushing too much today, sorry.

Hopefully my subsequent pointer to more docs helps.

> Section 2.17. How can I include HTML content that is not to be skinned
> by Forrest? at http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/faq.html#rawTML has
> an error - this XML excerpt is not well-formed. (map:select closing
> element name expected)

Thanks, I'll fix that.

> Also, I don't think there is fresh-site target in 0.7.

Another symptom of my rushing I should have said "forrest seed".

> I guess the directory
> with HTML which must not be skinned and displayed in the main area must
> reside in some special location???

No, but it does need to be where you tell Forrest to look...

> Maybe the match pattern isn't right?

It is not...

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@najdi.si>.
Hello,

we must be running different versions. I am using 0.7.

Section 2.17. How can I include HTML content that is not to be skinned
by Forrest? at http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/faq.html#rawTML has
an error - this XML excerpt is not well-formed. (map:select closing
element name expected)

File sitemap.xmap generated by "forrest seed" includes exactly what I
posted, except for the name of the directory (I used "news" instead of
"old_site"). So yes, it is nothing like what is in the FAQ entry. The
doc example (Section 2.17) has different test case

    test="{project:content}{0}"

in comparison with my sitemap.xmap

    test="{project:content}{1}.html"

I don't know (yet) what that means for my problem, but I am just stating
the difference.

Also, I don't think there is fresh-site target in 0.7. Now, I just tried
with the first test, but it does not work for me, I guess the directory
with HTML which must not be skinned and displayed in the main area must
reside in some special location??? Maybe the match pattern isn't right?

Regards,
Borut

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Borut Bolčina wrote:
>
>> Hi Ross,
>>
>> I thought I did the impression of reading the docs by including
>> exactly this section in my question you are pointing me at.
>

> You are mistaken. What you quoted in your mail was:

Ooopps, sorry it is *me* that is mistaken. I'll respond again in a
minute with a more helpful reply, this is a quick one to prevent you
wasting time telling me I'm an idiot ;-)

Ross

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Including HTML

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@najdi.si>.
Hi Ross,

I thought I did the impression of reading the docs by including exactly
this section in my question you are pointing me at. As I am new to
Forrest, I guess skinning means chewing my HTML which was supposed to be
swallowed.

I'll try a couple of more cycles...

Regards,
Borut