Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/11 13:53:50 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Reverse Proxy issues [WAS: Jserv issue ???]

> HOWEVER, we cannot get reverse proxy to work with SSL ?!?!
>
> Port 80 works great, including redirecting.
>
> Port 443 does NOT redirect.  NO SSL errors during startup.

Include your Proxy directives, the URL that doesn't work, and the
response that you think is in error.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Reverse Proxy issues [WAS: Jserv issue ???]

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
> For <VirtualHost *:443>, I have tried both:
> DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs"
> DocumentRoot "C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs"
>
> Tt does NOT make a difference, the only thing displayed is:
> C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/index.html

You're not editing the virtualhost that's handling the request.  If
this is a newer version of Windows, make sure to start your editor
from a real administrator account.

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Reverse Proxy issues [WAS: Jserv issue ???]

Posted by Mike Schleif <md...@helices.org>.
On 9/11/2010 8:00 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
 >> NameVirtualHost *:443
 >> <VirtualHost *:443>
 >>     ServerName test-webreporter.return.returninc.com
 >>     DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
 >> Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs"
 >> ###    DocumentRoot "C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs"
 >>
 >>     SSLEngine on
 >> ###    SSLProxyEngine on
 >>     SSLCertificateFile
 >> C:\Oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs\webapp\ssl\returninc.crt
 >>     SSLCertificateKeyFile
 >> C:\Oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs\webapp\ssl\returninc.key
 >>
 >>     ProxyRequests off
 >>     ProxyPass / http://localhost:81/
 >>     ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:81/
 >> </VirtualHost>
 >
 > Your request is probably not hitting this virtual host, but one with
 > *:443 and no ProxyPass directives.
 >
 > See apachectl/apache2ctl/httpd -S and/or add unique access logs to
 > port 443 virtual hosts to confirm.

# NEW web server listening on *:80 and *:443:

# Top httpd.conf declaration:
# <VirtualHost *:443>:
DocumentRoot "C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs"

index.html:
<h1>Apache v2.2.16</h1>
<h2>NOT Oracle Apache!</h2>

# OLD web server, Listen 81, Port 81, NO VirtualHost:

DocumentRoot "C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs"

index.html:
<h1>Apache v1.3.12</h1>
<h2>This IS Oracle Apache!</h2>

Browsing to http://internal-domain.com I see this:
Apache v1.3.12
This IS Oracle Apache!

Browsing to https://internal-domain.com I see this:
Apache v2.2.16
NOT Oracle Apache!

So, tcp 80 redirects as expected.

tcp 443 IS handled by the v2 Apache web server, but does NOT redirect.
We just installed v2.2.16, and DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache
Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs" did NOT exist until yesterday -
what else could redirect there?

For <VirtualHost *:443>, I have tried both:
DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs"
DocumentRoot "C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs"

Tt does NOT make a difference, the only thing displayed is:
C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/index.html

What's with that?

Also, NOTHING in error.log on either server; access.log does show when
accessed; and ssl_request.log on v2.2.16 DOES show AES128-SHA, RC4-MD5
and DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA GETs.

I am unclear on the suggestions re: apachectl.

How can I better troubleshoot this?

Thank you.

If ever I can be of service to you; contact me at once.

I wish for you a truly extraordinary day ...

--
Best Regards,

Mike Schleif
612-235-6060
http://mdsresource.net
http://www.linkedin.com/in/schleif
http://facebook.com/MDSResource
http://twitter.com/mikeschleif

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Reverse Proxy issues [WAS: Jserv issue ???]

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Schleif <md...@helices.org>.
On 9/11/2010 6:53 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
 >> HOWEVER, we cannot get reverse proxy to work with SSL ?!?!
 >>
 >> Port 80 works great, including redirecting.
 >>
 >> Port 443 does NOT redirect.  NO SSL errors during startup.
 >
 > Include your Proxy directives, the URL that doesn't work, and the
 > response that you think is in error.

### For Reverse Proxy
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so

# This works, although in production we do NOT want the Proxy* lines active:

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerName test-webreporter.return.returninc.com
     DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs"
     ProxyRequests off
     ProxyPass / http://localhost:81/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:81/
</VirtualHost>

# The following does not appear to redirect to other web server:

NameVirtualHost *:443
<VirtualHost *:443>
     ServerName test-webreporter.return.returninc.com
     DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs"
###    DocumentRoot "C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs"

     SSLEngine on
###    SSLProxyEngine on
     SSLCertificateFile
C:\Oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs\webapp\ssl\returninc.crt
     SSLCertificateKeyFile
C:\Oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\htdocs\webapp\ssl\returninc.key

     ProxyRequests off
     ProxyPass / http://localhost:81/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:81/
</VirtualHost>

NOTE: NO errors in the logs: LogLevel warn