Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Vishnu Mishra <vd...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/20 12:21:34 UTC

Solr Unexpected Query Parser Exception

Hi, I am using solr 4.10.3 and doing distributed shard query. I am getting
following syntax exception at regular intervals.

 ERROR org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore  ?
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: org.apache.solr.search.SyntaxError:
Cannot parse '*:*': Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1, column 3.
Was expecting one of:
    "NOT" ...
    "+" ...
    "-" ...
    <BAREOPER> ...
    "(" ...
    "*" ...
    "^" ...
    <QUOTED> ...
    <TERM> ...
    <FUZZY_SLOP> ...
    <PREFIXTERM> ...
    <WILDTERM> ...
    <REGEXPTERM> ...
    "[" ...
    "{" ...
    <PROXY_MF> ...
    <JOIN_MF> ...
    <FRQ_CUT_OFF> ...
    <NUMBER> ...
    <TERM> ...
    "*" ...

My query to solr is *:* can anyone explain me why this exception is
occurring.

Re: Solr Unexpected Query Parser Exception

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
You have to show us the entire query in order to be able to help. Or are you
saying the entire url is
blah blah blah/select?q=*:*
?

And you should have a trace of this in the Solr log, that would be helpful too
as it includes the query that _Solr_ sees.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Vishnu Mishra wrote:
> I think there is no issue with query escaping. I am doing shard query to
> my
> main solr server, and from inside the main solr server I am doing simple
> *:*
> query to another solr server by using solrj.  But most of the time I get
> following error.  Cannot parse '*:*': Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1,
> column
> 1.

Same answer as last time. Please give us more information.

Please give us the full query that you are doing. If you are using
SolrJ, you can get it out of the logs of the server you are hitting.

Please also give us the full stack trace of the error you are seeing,
not just the error message itself.

Without this extra information, anything we say will be speculation.

Thanks,

Upayavira

RE: Solr Unexpected Query Parser Exception

Posted by "Reitzel, Charles" <Ch...@tiaa-cref.org>.
Saw that one.  Can't remember for certain, but recall the actual syntax error was in a filter query.   It could have been a quoting error or a date math error in a range expression.  But, either way, the issue was in the fq.  Using edismax.  hth

Which query parser are you using? The dismax query parser does not support wild cards or "*:*".

Either way, the error message is unhelpful - worth filing a Jira.

-- Jack Krupansky

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Vishnu Mishra <vd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am using solr 4.10.3 and doing distributed shard query. I am
> getting following syntax exception at regular intervals.
>

>  ERROR org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore  ?
> org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: org.apache.solr.search.SyntaxError:
> Cannot parse '*:*': Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1, column 3.
> Was expecting one of:
>     "NOT" ...
>     "+" ...
>     "-" ...
>     <BAREOPER> ...
>     "(" ...
>     "*" ...
>     "^" ...
>     <QUOTED> ...
>     <TERM> ...
>     <FUZZY_SLOP> ...
>     <PREFIXTERM> ...
>     <WILDTERM> ...
>     <REGEXPTERM> ...
>     "[" ...
>     "{" ...
>     <PROXY_MF> ...
>     <JOIN_MF> ...
>     <FRQ_CUT_OFF> ...
>     <NUMBER> ...
>     <TERM> ...
>     "*" ...
>

> My query to solr is *:* can anyone explain me why this exception is
> occurring.

> Nabble.com.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.

TIAA-CREF

Re: Solr Unexpected Query Parser Exception

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.