Posted to user@ant.apache.org by ritchie <ga...@baml.com> on 2011/02/25 16:32:19 UTC

compare files from 2 directories

I want to check files from 2 directories for filematch, I tried using
checksum task but it does not work for 2 directories. Is it possible to
attain this by using ant alone?

Re: compare files from 2 directories

Posted by ritchie <ga...@baml.com>.
I did something like this...

<target name="a">
  <checksum totalproperty="ab1">
       <fileset dir="C:\A workspace\B"/>
  </checksum>
  <delete>
       <fileset dir="C:\A workspace\B" includes="**/*.MD5"/>
  </delete>
  <checksum totalproperty="ab2">
       <fileset dir="C:\A workspace\A"/>
  </checksum>
  <delete>
       <fileset dir="C:\A workspace\A" includes="**/*.MD5"/>
  </delete>
  <condition property="checksuccess">
    <equals arg1="${ab1}" arg2="${ab2}" />
  </condition>
</target>

<target name="b" depends="a" if="checksuccess">
   <echo message="ab1 and ab2 are same"/>
</target>

Re: compare files from 2 directories

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
If you want to compare two directories using ant, you can do this by
using the present and the different selectors.

<!-- 1 - find files which are in directory bar but not in foo see [1] -->

<fileset dir="bar" id="onlyinbar">
<not>
<present present="srconly" targetdir="foo"/>
</not>
</fileset>
<echo>these files are only in bar : ${toString:onlyinbar}</echo>

<!-- 2 - find files which exist in both bar and foo but are different -->

<fileset dir="foo" id="differentbarfoo">
     <different targetdir="bar"
         ignoreFileTimes="true"/>
</fileset>

<echo>these files are different in bar compared to foo :
${toString:differentbarfoo}</echo>

Regards,

Antoine

[1]  http://ant.apache.org/manual/Types/selectors.html#presentselect
[2] http://ant.apache.org/manual/Types/selectors.html#differentselect

Posted by ritchie <ga...@baml.com>.
The problem was it was inserting the .md5 file in the same directory and also
the name of the file was different, now it works.

I have another problem though i have to compare 2 directories for files and
if file name matches then do a checksum or filesmatch, i could not find a
ant task which can do this. I have written a java class to do this but i
wanted to know whether this can be achieved without invoking a java or perl.

Re: compare files from 2 directories

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Maybe you have a program running which is writing a log file under
C:\Program Files.

You should try on a tiny set of files which you know are  not going to
change.

Regards,

Antoine