Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no> on 2018/04/18 15:03:43 UTC

How to add elements to aggregated feature repositories?

Versions: karaf-maven-plugin 4.1.5

If you add <repository> elements pointing to other feature repositories to
a template feature.xml file in a bundle project, like eg. here
 https://github.com/steinarb/sonar-collector/blob/master/sonar-collector-webhook/src/main/feature/feature.xml#L2
then those <feature> elements are included in the built feature file
that is attached to the bundle project, like eg. here

However, if you create aggregate feature repositories like eg. this one
 https://github.com/steinarb/ukelonn/blob/master/ukelonn.karaf/pom.xml#L27
then the <repository> elements aren't part of the aggregated feature
repository.

Is there a way to include the <repository> elements?

I tried creating a template feature.xml in the aggregate project (a
project with packaging pom), but the <repository> elements weren't
included in the target/feature/feature.xml (ie. the generated feature
repository).

Is there a config to make karaf-maven-plugin include <repository>
elements from its dependency feature files?

Thanks!

- Steinar

Re: How to add elements to aggregated feature repositories?

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.
[snip!]
>> As already mentioned, it gives more control to write the features
>> repository XML by hand and verify using the plugin.

[snip!]
> I basically just need to expand maven properties for version numbers
> in a template file, and install the expanded feature as a maven
> artifact (whether as an attachment to the POM or as a feature artifact
> in its own right).

Ok, now I've got it working.

I just created a feature.xml file that references the bundles'
repositores, but with ${project.version} in place of the version, then I
created maven configuration for the parent pom that expanded the
feature.xml file and attached the expanded file to the parent POM.

Advantages to my old approach of letting karaf-maven-plugin generate an
aggregated feature repository from dependencies to the bundle projects'
feature repositories:
 1. It's actually simpler
 2. The <repository> references of the referenced <repositories> are
    preserved (ie. all the necessary repositories are loaded into karaf)
 3. I can stop having a special maven module just to build the
    aggregated feature repository, and instead just attach this feature
    repository to the parent POM of a multi-module project

This is an example project that has two bundles that generate their own
feature repositories and a parent POM that has an aggregated feature
repository for the two bundles' repositories as an attachement:
  https://github.com/steinarb/whiteboard-web-and-api-karaf-demo

The resource feature file that becomes the attachment after expansion,
is here:
 https://github.com/steinarb/whiteboard-web-and-api-karaf-demo/blob/master/src/main/filtered-resources/feature.xml
and looks like this:
 <features xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.4.0" name="webapi">
  <repository>mvn:no.priv.bang.demos.whiteboardwebapi/webapi/${project.version}/xml/features</repository>
  <repository>mvn:no.priv.bang.demos.whiteboardwebapi/webgui/${project.version}/xml/features</repository>
 </features>

The maven config that filters the feature.xml file and attach the
filtered file (note the not-inherited setting on the attachment) is here:
 https://github.com/steinarb/whiteboard-web-and-api-karaf-demo/blob/master/pom.xml#L149
and looks like this:
 <project>
  <build>
   <plugins>
    <plugin>
     <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
     <version>3.1.0</version>
     <executions>
      <execution>
       <id>filter-resources</id>
       <phase>validate</phase>
       <goals>
        <goal>resources</goal>
       </goals>
       <configuration>
        <resources>
         <resource>
          <directory>src/main/filtered-resources</directory>
          <filtering>true</filtering>
         </resource>
        </resources>
       </configuration>
      </execution>
     </executions>
    </plugin>
    <plugin>
     <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
     <artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
     <version>3.0.0</version>
     <inherited>false</inherited>
     <executions>
      <execution>
       <id>attach-karaf-feature</id>
       <phase>package</phase>
       <goals>
        <goal>attach-artifact</goal>
       </goals>
       <configuration>
        <artifacts>
         <artifact>
          <file>target/classes/feature.xml</file>
          <type>xml</type>
          <classifier>features</classifier>
         </artifact>
        </artifacts>
       </configuration>
      </execution>
     </executions>
    </plugin>
   </plugins>
  </build>
 </project>

Re: How to add elements to aggregated feature repositories?

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

> That's tricky because users might want different behavior about
> features repositories dependencies.

> As already mentioned, it gives more control to write the features
> repository XML by hand and verify using the plugin.

Do you have an example of a project doing this?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
That's the idea of template yet, leveraging the deps.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: How to add elements to aggregated feature repositories?

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

> Is there a way to include the <repository> elements?

It looks from the code as if the repository elements are meant to be
included:
 https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/tooling/karaf-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/karaf/tooling/features/GenerateDescriptorMojo.java

Also, the repositories added to the template feature file should have
made it to the generated feature file...?

Have I made a mistake in the config?  Or has the code changed since
karaf-maven-plugin 4.1.5?