Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Muhammad Rezaul Karim <re...@yahoo.com> on 2016/11/17 17:11:09 UTC

Is it possible to run Java code on Zeppelin Notebook?

Hi All,

I am a new user of Zeppelin and got to know that Apache Zeppelin is using Spark as the backend interpreter.

Till date, I have run some codes written in Scala on the Zeppelin notebook. However, I am pretty familiar with writing Spark application using Java.
Now my question: is it possible to run Java code on Zeppelin Notebook?

 Thanks and Regards,
---------------------------------
Md. Rezaul Karim
PhD Researcher, Insight Centre for Data Analytics
National University of Ireland Galway
E-mail: rezaul.karim@insight-centre.org
Web: www.insight-centre.org
Phone: +353892311519

Re: Is it possible to run Java code on Zeppelin Notebook?

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for sick hacks!

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."  -Virgil*

Posted by Muhammad Rezaul Karim <re...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Alexander,
Thanks for replying me. I am particularly interested in running Spark code written in Java on Zeppelin Notebook.

    On Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:06 AM, Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org> wrote:

 Good question :)
Actually, there is a not very well known yet "hack" (I talked about it a bit on ApacheCon this year) - to run a pure Java paragraph in Apache Zeppelin - you can just use `%beam` interpreter!
Beam interpreter uses Beam Java API, so you can leverage it i.e to run WEKA machine learning library (pure Java) in Zeppelin as below
```%beam
import java.io.BufferedReader;import java.io.FileReader; import weka.classifiers.Classifier;import weka.classifiers.lazy.IBk;import weka.core.Instance;import weka.core.Instances;import weka.core.Instances;
public class KNN {
 public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { BufferedReader datafile = new BufferedReader(new FileReader("/home/ubuntu/ads-weka.txt"));  Instances data = new Instances(datafile); data.setClassIndex(data.numAttributes() - 1);  //do not use first and second Instance first = data.instance(2); Instance second = data.instance(3); data.delete(2); data.delete(3);  Classifier ibk = new IBk();  ibk.buildClassifier(data);  double class1 = ibk.classifyInstance(first); double class2 = ibk.classifyInstance(second);  System.out.println("first: " + class1 + "\nsecond: " + class2); }}```

------------------------------ ---

Posted by Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org>.
Good question :)

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

________________________________

E-mail: rezaul.karim@insight-centre.org<ma...@insight-centre.org>
Web: www.insight-centre.org<http://www.insight-centre.org/>

Posted by Abhisar Mohapatra <ab...@inmobi.com>.

reza_cse_du@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am a new user of Zeppelin and got to know that Apache Zeppelin is using
> Spark as the backend interpreter.
>
> Till date, I have run some codes written in Scala on the Zeppelin
> notebook. However, I am pretty familiar with writing Spark application
> using Java.
> Now my question: is it possible to run Java code on Zeppelin Notebook?
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> *Md. Rezaul Karim*
> PhD Researcher, Insight Centre for Data Analytics
> National University of Ireland Galway
> *E-mail:* rezaul.karim@insight-centre.org
> <do...@insight-centre.org>
> *Web*: www.insight-centre.org