Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Eren Erdemli <er...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/16 19:10:54 UTC

Setup Guide

Hi All,

First of all I am sorry, if my question is already answered and will really
appreciate a link to it.

I would like to eventually replace my Jackrabbit installation with oak
however I am having difficulties understanding the concepts.

I would like to setup a OAK Cluster (Load Balanced) with Shared and
Distributed Storage for a very large repository  over several terabytes at
the moment,

My Current Setup is ,

I have Rest based web aplication which embeds JackRabbit and uses
DBFileStore, FileDataStore and DatabaseJournal.  to gain LoadBalanced
 Repository

One of the reasons we would like to move to OAK is its distributed
architecture.

 - Requirements are be able to store different first level paths under
different NFS Mounts i.e multi tenancy based on paths.

 - All Files must be stored on a disk with no chunking/segmentation
FileDataStore??

- Be able to embed it in existing war project and use it on a load balanced
rest server or be able to move my web services to installation.

Please correct me if I am wrong as this is where it gets confusing.
  - Is there any existing MicroKernel implementation which will provide me
these requirements. if so, with which implementations
 If not
- What part of the source code should I start looking/extending  to do this.

How would one start implementing such scenario, your pointers are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Eren

Re: Setup Guide

Posted by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

> - Requirements are be able to store different first level paths under
> different NFS Mounts i.e multi tenancy based on paths.

Not sure if you refer to the NodeStore (where the nodes are stored) or the DataStore (binaries).
For the DataStore: this is not implemented and I believe it will be conceptually difficult because the DataStore has no notion of the path where a binary is referenced (could be many).
For the NodeStore: the most actively maintained NodeStores are based on Tar and MongoDB, respectively (upcoming is the RDBMK for relational databases). For Tar I cannot see how to easily satisfy that requirement. For MongoDB it would be possible by e.g. tag-aware sharing in Mongo.

> - All Files must be stored on a disk with no chunking/segmentation
> FileDataStore??

The File DataStore does not chunk.
(at least the version that was moved from Jackrabbit2, there is also a new chunking version)

> Please correct me if I am wrong as this is where it gets confusing.
>  - Is there any existing MicroKernel implementation which will provide me
> these requirements. if so, with which implementations

As above: I do not think so.

> - What part of the source code should I start looking/extending  to do this.

To me it is not clear what physical storage mechanism you are aiming for (e.g. file system for binaries and nodes or is Mongo an option or is S3 an option or does it not matter at all). If you could clarify that I could better comment on the above.

Best regards
Michael