Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Casas, Claudia" <cc...@utep.edu> on 2004/06/18 01:44:51 UTC

three problems

Hello everyone,
I am pretty new to tomcat. I just managed to install apache2.0.49 and
tomcat4.1.30 and the jk1.2 connector on linux redhat 3 AS.
I was so happy because when I typed: http://localhost:8080/examples and
http://localhost/examples I am able to view my jsp and servlet examples.
I have encounted three  problems unfortunately:
1) When I go to another PC and try to access my server:
http://my.domain.com:8080 <http://my.domain.com:8080/>   I get "The page
cannot be displayed"
    but if I access http://my.domain.com:80 <http://my.domain.com/>
(apache), it works fine

Why in this world can I access my tomcat from my server directly but not
from outside my server??

2) When I run tomcat as root, my mod_jk.conf file is automatically
created inside my conf directory.
    But if I run it as a tomcat user, then no mod_jk.conf file is
created.

3) But not least, I would like to web applications through my user
directories and not through the tomcat directory.
    I know I have to add something in the context path area, but not
sure what to do.

Please, if anyone has an answer to these problems, I would really
appreciate your help.

<!-- Claudia Casas
       Application Development Coordinator
       Digital Media Center, Ext. 5940 -->
"Technology does not drive change -- it enables change. "

Re: three problems

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
:
: Why in this world can I access my tomcat from my server directly but not
: from outside my server??

You must explicitly setup Tomcat to listen on IP addresses other than
"localhost" if you want to access Tomcat remotely (but not through
Apache).  Refer to the "address" attr of the <Connector> element in
server.xml.

: 2) When I run tomcat as root, my mod_jk.conf file is automatically
: created inside my conf directory.
:     But if I run it as a tomcat user, then no mod_jk.conf file is
: created.

Most likely, a permissions problem: is the directory writable to the
(non-root) user in question?

: 3) But not least, I would like to web applications through my user
: directories and not through the tomcat directory.
:     I know I have to add something in the context path area, but not
: sure what to do.

There's a config directive for this, something like "userdir."
I don't know it off the top of my head, but a search on the Tomcat site
should find it.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net