Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mohbe, Sameer" <Sa...@nuveen.com> on 2002/12/11 00:19:09 UTC

Two instances of Tomcat

Hi Folks ,
                 Need some  urgent help regarding  setting  up two instances
of Tomcat .Here goes the details .We used to have Apache 1.3.23 + Tomcat
4.0.2 configuration running on Red hat 7.0.We were running two web apps
under Single instance of tomcat. To make them independent we are moving
towards Two instances of tomcat .So we installed second instance residing in
/opt/tomcat2 directory ,first being  in the directory called
/opt/tomcat.Changes on server.xml were made for  two different  port nos.Now
Everything works ok till the point  when we try to generate a report in
second web application it gives a Java.lang Out of Memory error.This Final
report feature uses the Formula 1 Software which is  a e-spreadsheet.Can any
one please tell me what all settings are required for the TWO instances of
tomcat.do we need TWO copies of  Worker.properties files (Coz we have only
one ) and if yes then what changes need to be done .Is the Java error
related to JVM memory settings .We have set TOMCAT_OPTS in /etc/profile for
-Xms64 and -Xmx512.

Regards
Sameer

Re: Two instances of Tomcat

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>.
Remember that with 2 Tomcats, you need DOUBLE the memory. You may be
attempting to use more memory then you have in the box. Use 'top' to
watch the memory utilization and see if you are filling up on memory to
create the spreadsheet thingy.

You can control the memory usage of Tomcat using the -Xmx and -Xms to
control heap size. The settings you list would mean that you would need,
at least, 1.1gig of memory in the box to utilize both Tomcats to their
potential.

HTH,

Ben Ricker

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 17:19, Mohbe, Sameer wrote:
> Hi Folks ,
>                  Need some  urgent help regarding  setting  up two instances
> of Tomcat .Here goes the details .We used to have Apache 1.3.23 + Tomcat
> 4.0.2 configuration running on Red hat 7.0.We were running two web apps
> under Single instance of tomcat. To make them independent we are moving
> towards Two instances of tomcat .So we installed second instance residing in
> /opt/tomcat2 directory ,first being  in the directory called
> /opt/tomcat.Changes on server.xml were made for  two different  port nos.Now
> Everything works ok till the point  when we try to generate a report in
> second web application it gives a Java.lang Out of Memory error.This Final
> report feature uses the Formula 1 Software which is  a e-spreadsheet.Can any
> one please tell me what all settings are required for the TWO instances of
> tomcat.do we need TWO copies of  Worker.properties files (Coz we have only
> one ) and if yes then what changes need to be done .Is the Java error
> related to JVM memory settings .We have set TOMCAT_OPTS in /etc/profile for
> -Xms64 and -Xmx512.
>
> Regards
> Sameer

Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>