Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Zembower, Kevin" <kz...@jhuccp.org> on 2006/05/08 19:15:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Authorization by external program?

I'm trying to set up our organization's intranet to allow or deny based
on the username that the user logged into our LAN with. For a variety of
reasons, I can't use LDAP. I have a php script that, with the activation
of an ActiveX control on our organization's standard IE browser, does
allow Apache to request the username. I'd like to pass this username to
an external program I'll write and get a returned value of '0' to deny
or '1' to allow the user to access the directory.

I can't figure out how to do this. I've read where authorization can be
controlled by environmental variables, but I'm not seeing how I can use
this. I also checked the LDAP modules, to see if I could interface one
to a 'faked-up' LDAP that would return what I needed.

Could anyone suggest a system that would allow me to do this, or point
me in the right direction? Right now, I'm using Apache 1.3, but would
upgrade to 2.0 or 2.2 if I needed to. This is running on a Debian
sarge-based system.

Thank you for any hints, suggestions or advice.

-Kevin Zembower

Re: [users@httpd] Authorization by external program?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/8/06, Zembower, Kevin <kz...@jhuccp.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up our organization's intranet to allow or deny based
> on the username that the user logged into our LAN with. For a variety of
> reasons, I can't use LDAP. I have a php script that, with the activation
> of an ActiveX control on our organization's standard IE browser, does
> allow Apache to request the username. I'd like to pass this username to
> an external program I'll write and get a returned value of '0' to deny
> or '1' to allow the user to access the directory.
>
> I can't figure out how to do this. I've read where authorization can be
> controlled by environmental variables, but I'm not seeing how I can use
> this. I also checked the LDAP modules, to see if I could interface one
> to a 'faked-up' LDAP that would return what I needed.
>
> Could anyone suggest a system that would allow me to do this, or point
> me in the right direction? Right now, I'm using Apache 1.3, but would
> upgrade to 2.0 or 2.2 if I needed to. This is running on a Debian
> sarge-based system.
>
> Thank you for any hints, suggestions or advice.

Look through http://modules.apache.org/.  mod_auth_external certainly does this.

Joshua.