Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com> on 2002/02/16 07:10:29 UTC

[DOCUMENTATION] Stratum / JCS Documentation

I just finished converting all of Aaron's JCS documents to xdoc format.
While doing this, I also created the start of a stratum xdoc hierarchy.
This includes Jason's description of stratum from last week's status
update, and all of the JCS documentation that I converted.

Attached to this email is a tarball of the xdoc directory I built and
patches for build.xml, deps.list, and default.properties.

The patch to build.xml adds the 'docs' target which has the DVSL task
that generates the docs and copy task to copy all images over to the
output directory.

The default.properties patch adds dvsl and velocity jars.  I used the
latest version of DVSL (0.40) so I could use the 'force' attribute in
the DVSL task which forces all of the docs to be built all of the time.
Unlike, Anakia, if you modify the project.xml file, the other pages are
not automatically regenerated.

The patch for deps.list adds dvsl and velocity to the list of
dependencies.  If someone could update the dvsl jar on the turbine site,
that would be appreciated.

Finally, if someone wants to preview the stratum documentation, you can
check it out on my home site at:

http://www.kazmier.com/~kaz/stratum

Thanks!
Pete

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Stratum / JCS Documentation

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
Pete Kazmier wrote:
> I just finished converting all of Aaron's JCS documents to xdoc format.
> While doing this, I also created the start of a stratum xdoc hierarchy.
> This includes Jason's description of stratum from last week's status
> update, and all of the JCS documentation that I converted.
>
> Attached to this email is a tarball of the xdoc directory I built and
> patches for build.xml, deps.list, and default.properties.
>
> The patch to build.xml adds the 'docs' target which has the DVSL task
> that generates the docs and copy task to copy all images over to the
> output directory.
>
> The default.properties patch adds dvsl and velocity jars.  I used the
> latest version of DVSL (0.40) so I could use the 'force' attribute in
> the DVSL task which forces all of the docs to be built all of the time.
> Unlike, Anakia, if you modify the project.xml file, the other pages are
> not automatically regenerated.
>
> The patch for deps.list adds dvsl and velocity to the list of
> dependencies.  If someone could update the dvsl jar on the turbine site,
> that would be appreciated.

done

thanx!!!!!

martin

Re: jprobe of jcs

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@4lane.com>.
On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 00:28, Aaron Smuts wrote:
> Some profiling of JCS.  The relative timing is ok, but it cannot be
> taken as absolute time since it is running inside JProbe.
>
> I'll see if I can get it some better data.
>
> The LinkedQueue is significant.

Is it? Can you elaborate on your interpretation of the data. It'd be
great to see similar profiling of the version with the JGLQueue.
LinkedQueue looks pretty quick to me -- most of the time in the take
operation is from waiting for objects to become available. I'm not
entirely sure how to read the profiling output though.

> All the bottlenecks are in disk io.

NIO!

-- jt

jprobe of jcs

Posted by Aaron Smuts <aa...@verizon.net>.
Some profiling of JCS.  The relative timing is ok, but it cannot be
taken as absolute time since it is running inside JProbe.

I'll see if I can get it some better data.

The LinkedQueue is significant.

All the bottlenecks are in disk io.

Aaron

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Cool, thanks Pete.

Moving on with JCS -- seeking help

Posted by Aaron Smuts <aa...@verizon.net>.

JCS areas of need and future development, in no particular order:

Turbine service for JCS.
XML-RPC lateral cache completion.
Javagroups lateral cache.
Applet XML-RPC monitor.
Session distribution testing.
Examples -- Applet test access?
XML config
Run-time auxiliary selection (establish all lateral available and choose
via access). XML . . .
Idle time check in hub on get.  ( only check maxLife expiration now)
Memory shrinker improvements.
More structured documentation.
Rename Composite cache to CacheHub and CompositeCacheAttributes.
ElementAttributes copy -- create new constructor, avoid methods.
Torque JCS integration.
LFU memory cache.
Lateral Token ring locking.
Cluster architecture proposals.
JUnit tests.
Embedded servlet options.
JMS lateral cache.
Disk and lateral cache refactoring.

Let us know if you have nay ideas or would like to tackle some of these.

Cheers,

Aaron

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Stratum / JCS Documentation

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.
Dan,

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Aaron Smuts <aa...@verizon.net>.

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Aaron Smuts <aa...@verizon.net>.
Good idea.  I'll start something.

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.
On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 10:55:02AM -0500, Aaron Smuts wrote:
> Thanks.

No problem.

Posted by Aaron Smuts <aa...@verizon.net>.
Wow!  We actually have documentation on the web now.

Thanks.

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.