Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/14 14:30:53 UTC

Tomcat 8.5 download page - separate from 8.0 one

Hi!

Currently Tomcat 8.5 is downloaded from the same page as Tomcat 8.0

http://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi

Note the "80" in the URL.

The documentation for 8.5 has a different URL in its configuration

In webapps\docs\tomcat-docs.xsl

  <xsl:param    name="dllink"
select="'http://tomcat.apache.org/download-85.cgi'"/>

For Tomcat 5 we used the same "5.5" page for both 5.5 and 5.0
downloads (web archive: [1]). Historically, there never was a "50.cgi"
page at tomcat.apache.org. It was "55.cgi" since the date when Tomcat
became a top-level project. [2]

Personally, I am OK with using the same page. A difference is that I
would move the recent version to the top of the page.

By the way, the "Which version?" page needs an update as well. Tomcat
8.5 is not listed there. [3]

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/20071001015852/http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=279436

[3] http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 8.5 download page - separate from 8.0 one

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/04/2016 13:30, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Currently Tomcat 8.5 is downloaded from the same page as Tomcat 8.0
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi
>
> Note the "80" in the URL.

I thought about changing that but didn't want to break existing links.
We should probably move to just major versions for Tomcat 10 onwards.

> The documentation for 8.5 has a different URL in its configuration
>
> In webapps\docs\tomcat-docs.xsl
>
>   <xsl:param    name="dllink"
> select="'http://tomcat.apache.org/download-85.cgi'"/>

I'll fix that.

> For Tomcat 5 we used the same "5.5" page for both 5.5 and 5.0
> downloads (web archive: [1]). Historically, there never was a "50.cgi"
> page at tomcat.apache.org. It was "55.cgi" since the date when Tomcat
> became a top-level project. [2]
>

> Personally, I am OK with using the same page. A difference is that I
> would move the recent version to the top of the page.

I was working on the basis that the most recent stable release should be
at the top. As soon as 8.5.x is stable, it will move to the top of that
page.

> By the way, the "Which version?" page needs an update as well. Tomcat
> 8.5 is not listed there. [3]

Ack.

Thanks,

Mark