Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Emanuele <rj...@cyan.com> on 2002/06/08 00:26:36 UTC

code sharing in authentication

I'm curious to the inner workings of the authentication modules
for 1.3 and 2.0.

I was wondering if they use each other or can use each other?
Can they share code?  For example the mod_auth_digest module and
the mod_auth_mysql or mod_auth_dbm, can the latter modules make
use of the digest code?

I'd like to use digest authentication against a mysql database.
Will the require me to merge the code of the digest and mysql
module into a completely new module?  Or can I make the mysql
module use the functions of the digest module.

Thanks,

Rob Emanuele

RE: code sharing in authentication

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Rob Emanuele wrote:

> I was wondering if they use each other or can use each other?
> Can they share code?  For example the mod_auth_digest module and
> the mod_auth_mysql or mod_auth_dbm, can the latter modules make
> use of the digest code?

As they're currently written, no, they can't use each others' code.  The
addition of some optional functions might make it possible for them to do
so... though it has been stated that one of the goals for Apache 2.1 or
3.0 is to redo the auth/access modules so that they are more modularized
in this way, so I don't know how much effort it's worth putting into it at
this point.

--Cliff

RE: code sharing in authentication

Posted by Rob Emanuele <rj...@cyan.com>.
Does anyone have any answers here?  Or am I asking this question
to the wrong list?

Thanks,  Rob