Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ronny Machado <ro...@protonmail.com> on 2021/01/24 00:47:49 UTC

GITLAB to Subversion

Hi guys,

I found this e-mail address in the "Version control with Subversion".

I've got a question, which may seem weird due to its nature...I've found a hole bunch of docs and videos about how to migrate from Subversion to Gitlab, but nothing addressing the other way round...Some devs wanted me to implement Gitlab, which I did...but after a few months it has become a nightmare, gitlab is a resource consuming beast, the admin tasks aren't so "natural", lots of security holes and so on...So, for me the natural thing to do is come back to he good old tried and true, Subversion....

Any recommendation? Any doc to read? Any guide?

Thanks in advance.
--
Ronny Machado C.
IT Consultant

Re: GITLAB to Subversion

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:43 PM Ronny Machado <ro...@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I found this e-mail address in the "Version control with Subversion".
>
> I've got a question, which may seem weird due to its nature...I've found a
> hole bunch of docs and videos about how to migrate from Subversion to
> Gitlab, but nothing addressing the other way round...Some devs wanted me to
> implement Gitlab, which I did...but after a few months it has become a
> nightmare, gitlab is a resource consuming beast, the admin tasks aren't  so
> "natural", lots of security holes and so on...So, for me the natural thing
> to do is come back to he good old tried and true,  Subversion....
>
> Any recommendation? Any doc to read? Any guide?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> *--*
> *Ronny Machado C.*
> *IT Consultant*
> *+56 9 75199262*
> https://sospyme.tech/

If I understand your question correctly, you'd like to migrate content from
git to svn.

I don't know of a tool specifically setup to do this in a turn-key manner
but a few possibilities come to mind, depending on what you'd like to
achieve and how much you'd like to preserve.

For example, you could just checkout the latest content from git and import
that into svn, but that would not preserve any history. If you take this
approach, you'll probably want to keep a copy of the git repository around
for reference if you ever need to use the history.

If you'd like to preserve history, is it enough to just preserve the linear
history of the master branch? Git's and Subversion's branching/tagging
models are quite different and don't necessarily translate 1:1 when
converting a repository. If your master branch is not a linear sequence of
commits, you might need to first manipulate/rewrite git history to get it
into that state, before being able to convert it.

I'll list some avenues you may wish to explore.

CAVEAT: I have *not* used these personally. I'm only listing possibilities
I would investigate if I needed to migrate from git to svn:

(1) Reposurgeon:

This tool is setup to migrate from Subversion to Git, which is the opposite
of your question, but as it supports numerous version control systems and
can perform all sorts of manipulations and translations, it might be
possible to migrate in the other direction:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/reposurgeon/
https://gitlab.com/esr/reposurgeon

(2) git-svn bridge:

Git has a git-svn bridge that allows using git locally and then pushing a
linear sequence of commits to a Subversion repository. This could allow you
to preserve the linear history of a branch (e.g., the master branch) but
probably will not preserve other branches or tags automatically. As
mentioned above, it might take some up-front manipulation to get a git
branch into the form of a linear sequence that can be pushed to a
Subversion repository. The git-svn bridge is included in git and some
information on it can be found here:

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-and-Other-Systems-Git-as-a-Client

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-svn

A quick search brings up the following interesting finds as well:

https://github.com/mrts/git-svn-bridge

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13188135/using-git-as-bridge-between-git-and-svn-repos

Maybe others will have more input on this...

Hope this helps,
Nathan

<https://sospyme.tech/>

Re: GITLAB to Subversion

Posted by Ronny Machado <ro...@protonmail.com>.
Thanks Nico, I'll have your advice in mind :)

--
Ronny Machado C.
IT Consultant

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.