Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by gkrishna <gk...@interchange.ubc.ca> on 2005/03/26 06:41:27 UTC

Lenya reveals password in the url

If the password authentication fails when a user is trying to change his password. it is revealed in the site url

http://localhost:8080/lenya/blog/admin/users/krishna.html?lenya.continuation=6e26642f5f75737c6749155d5437785d60253664&old-password=sample&new-password=sample18&confirm-password=sample2&submit=Submit

Re: Lenya reveals password in the url

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> gkrishna wrote:
>>
>>> If the password authentication fails when a user is trying to change
>>> his password. it is revealed in the site url
>>>
>>> http://localhost:8080/lenya/blog/admin/users/krishna.html?lenya.continuation=6e26642f5f75737c6749155d5437785d60253664&old-password=sample&new-password=sample18&confirm-password=sample2&submit=Submit
>>>

>> that's bad ;-) but I think this is not the only place where the
>> password can be seen.
>>
>> You might want to file an enhancement bug on this
>

> I guess we could change the method to POST first (we should do that
> anyway for those forms). Maybe it makes sense to use SSL for the
> password usecase.

+1

whereas I am not sure if every servlet container is supporting SSL
out-of-the-box
and it would probably make sense to make this configurable.

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Lenya reveals password in the url

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
gkrishna wrote:

>If the password authentication fails when a user is trying to change his password. it is revealed in the site url
>
>http://localhost:8080/lenya/blog/admin/users/krishna.html?lenya.continuation=6e26642f5f75737c6749155d5437785d60253664&old-password=sample&new-password=sample18&confirm-password=sample2&submit=Submit

that's bad ;-) but I think this is not the only place where the password
can be seen.

You might want to file an enhancement bug on this

Thanks

Michi

Michael Wechner