Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "Escobar, Henry J." <HE...@cpmx.saic.com> on 1998/10/22 21:30:02 UTC

RE: apache-api/3272: Integration of module in apache

The following reply was made to PR apache-api/3272; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Escobar, Henry J." <HE...@cpmx.saic.com>
To: marc@APACHE.ORG
Cc: apbugs@APACHE.ORG
Subject: RE: apache-api/3272: Integration of module in apache
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:23:07 -0700

 Marc,
   I've already looked at that part of the code, but before I start hacking
 the apache code, I was wondering if there was an API to open a logfile and
 to get a file descriptor prior to when httpd is forked.

   The main reason I want to do this is so that when apache 1.x comes out, I
 can simply cp ~nt_auth/src/*.[ch] to ~apache/src/modules/extra
 make some changes in ~apache/src/modules/extra/Makefile compile and go.

 I want to avoid going into ~apache/src/main/http_main.c to get the logging
 capability I need.

    Since this web server will be authenticating all of the time, I want to
 minimize the overhead of opening and closing the log file (such as when
 apache changes stderr to be logs/error_log file -> which I am using for
 now).

   I also plan to only log when it authenticates as well...

 Please tell me there is a way around hacking apache... It will make my
 install script a lot more difficult with a lot of assumptions
 (ass-u-me-tions)!!!!

   Thanks in advance,
 	-Henry