Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jon Brisbin <jo...@npcinternational.com> on 2004/06/18 22:29:38 UTC

Creating new publications

I got Lenya installed and working in my Tomcat 5 installation and now
I'm trying to integrate it with our existing JSP/Servlet apps.  I have
an XML engine that I use to access disparate data sources here on our
protected network.

I've read all the docs I can find and I'm still a little puzzled on how
I can incorporate my site layout with Lenya.  Specifically, I'd like to
use the blog publication as an events tracker for our portal.  I want to
change the name to "events" and instead the "default" publication, make
it "start".  Just changing the instances of these text strings in the
publications starts giving me any number of unexpected behaviors.
Everything from login problems, to missing files.

Is there an ant task or something that someone has written that will
allow me to gen up a new publication with all the default parts I'd need
to start making modifications?  This would be so much easier than trying
to figure all this out hit and miss.  It's not that I mind doing it, but
I feel uncomfortable spending all that time on something like this, when
what I get paid for is to develop applications, not try and figure out
how to use the software I say will be so great for us.

Any help/guidance you can give on creating new publications would be a
big help...

--

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin
=============================
Development Programmer
NPC International
jon.brisbin at npcinternational dot com
620.235.7726

Re: Creating new publications

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Jonathan Linczak wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2004, at 4:44 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> > Is there an ant task or something that someone has written that will
>> > allow me to gen up a new publication with all the default parts I'd
>> need
>>  > to start making modifications?
>>
>> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaNewPublicationHowTo
>

> Anyone know what happened to this Wiki page on created new publications??

today is the wiki migration day.

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/NewPublicationHowTo

maybe a good time to mention our irc channel again:

http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/community/irc.html

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Creating new publications

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.
> The wiki moved today to join the rest of Apache on the Moin Moin wiki.
> The Lenya wiki home page is here:
>   http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/
> The LenyaNewPublicationHowTo page is now here:
>   http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/NewPublicationHowTo
>
> Several people are working on setting up intelligent redirection from
> the wiki.cocoondev.org site to the new site, but it is not all in
> place yet.  For now, just strip the "Lenya" from the beginning of the
> name of any Lenya page you are looking for, and put the remaining
> page name at the end of the home page url listed above and the page
> should be right there.

Thanks!  Very helpful indeed...

Jon

Re: Creating new publications

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 01:20:26PM -0400, Jonathan Linczak wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2004, at 4:44 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>

> > > Is there an ant task or something that someone has written that
> > will
> > > allow me to gen up a new publication with all the default parts
> > I'd need
> >  > to start making modifications?
> >
> > http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaNewPublicationHowTo
> >

> Anyone know what happened to this Wiki page on created new
> publications??

The wiki moved today to join the rest of Apache on the Moin Moin wiki.
The Lenya wiki home page is here:
  http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/
The LenyaNewPublicationHowTo page is now here:
  http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/NewPublicationHowTo

Several people are working on setting up intelligent redirection from
the wiki.cocoondev.org site to the new site, but it is not all in
place yet.  For now, just strip the "Lenya" from the beginning of the
name of any Lenya page you are looking for, and put the remaining
page name at the end of the home page url listed above and the page
should be right there.

HTH,
--Tim Larson

AW: Creating new publications

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net>.
The subject reminds me of something:

Someone once mentioned that some work has been done in regards to creating
new pubs from the menu.

Now that 1.2 has been released it might be worth getting back to that?

I would be willing to take someone's code as a starting point and go from
there if there is any. That might save some time rather than starting from
scratch.

I mean: Is it that difficult? But if is a frequently asked question and a
hurdle to anyone who is now to Lenya.

Torsten

  _____

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jon Brisbin wrote:

>I actually have already read this.  I was able to squeak by and get at
>least something up and running, but the *real* question was about the
>Ant task, which that doc mentions, but I was hoping it had been done
>since that was written.

I have started such a clone build XML, but it's not finished yet.
It doesn't need that much anymore to get something going and
other people could start improving it. But I am not sure how we have
now decided on stopping the code freeze and also on checking in "light
enhancements" ...

Michi

> It would be much cleaner to go into the lenya
>source dir, run an ant task, and have it install a new, default
>publication.
>
>I'm not just going to be making one new publication, and I hope this
>will take off to the point that people will actually use it.  If that's
>the case, I won't have time to be creating and maintaining the nuts and
>bolts of XML files (I'll be developing real-world data apps, not portal
>stuff) for the portal.  Maintenance of this portal will be handed off to
>the respective departments.  We don't want to install something that
>we'll have to keep updated all the time because an end user couldn't do
>it.
>
>Other portal applications have some kind of functionality similar to
>this, so at least an Ant task would be helpful.  I'd write it myself,
>but I would have to hack the source of the default webapp and I don't
>have time to do that just yet.
>
>Jon Brisbin
>

>On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 15:44, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>

>>>Is there an ant task or something that someone has written that will
>>>allow me to gen up a new publication with all the default parts I'd need
>>>to start making modifications?
>>>

>>http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaNewPublicationHowTo
>>
>>Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Creating new publications

Posted by Jon Brisbin <jo...@npcinternational.com>.
I actually have already read this.  I was able to squeak by and get at
least something up and running, but the *real* question was about the
Ant task, which that doc mentions, but I was hoping it had been done
since that was written.  It would be much cleaner to go into the lenya
source dir, run an ant task, and have it install a new, default
publication.

I'm not just going to be making one new publication, and I hope this
will take off to the point that people will actually use it.  If that's
the case, I won't have time to be creating and maintaining the nuts and
bolts of XML files (I'll be developing real-world data apps, not portal
stuff) for the portal.  Maintenance of this portal will be handed off to
the respective departments.  We don't want to install something that
we'll have to keep updated all the time because an end user couldn't do
it.

Other portal applications have some kind of functionality similar to
this, so at least an Ant task would be helpful.  I'd write it myself,
but I would have to hack the source of the default webapp and I don't
have time to do that just yet.

Jon Brisbin

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 15:44, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> > Is there an ant task or something that someone has written that will
> > allow me to gen up a new publication with all the default parts I'd need
> > to start making modifications?
>
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaNewPublicationHowTo
>
> Andreas

Thanks!