Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com> on 2003/06/10 15:17:30 UTC

CATALINA_BASE --help

Gurus,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the CATALINA_BASE variable.
Here is my dilemma (with ASCII art):

I have a load balanced Tomcat (v4.0.6) configuration on Win2k using
mod_jk + Apache 2. It's all working in a production environment.

However, on occassion, about once a month, I have to update a JSP page
(don't ask). I have to do this twice...once for each Tomcat instance's
webapp. It dawned on me the other day when R'ingTFM that CATALINA_BASE
may have been designed for exactly this reason. But the configuration
text is confusing.

So, do I elect one instance as the master, the other slave? Using
CATALINA_BASE set to the master's otherwise CATALINA_HOME?

The directory hierarchy then might look something like:

      /---+

          +tomcatMaster/
          |            |
          |            +webapps/
          |                    |
          |                    +myWebApp/

          +tomcatSlave/

                      +webapps/

                              +...otherwise.empty...

## somewhere in Windoze or Linux
#  setenv CATALINA_BASE /tomcatMaster
##

Is this the correct understanding and use? Thank you.

Tim

Re: CATALINA_BASE --help

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
I don't have an answer but an alternative.

Place your webapps in a common area. (c:\data\webapps\appN)

Then in your server.xml - point your webapps there.

-Tim