Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Hari Sreekumar <hs...@clickable.com> on 2010/11/22 13:55:21 UTC

Using ganglia to monitor hadoop

Hi,

        I have set up ganglia for my cluster, and it works fine. What are
the changes I need to make to make ganglia show hadoop related parameters?
My gmond/gmetad config is default except for one change in gmond.conf for
all nodes:

/* You can specify as many tcp_accept_channels as you like to share
   an xml description of the state of the cluster */
tcp_accept_channel {
  port = 8650
}

 I have changed the hadoop-metrics.properties file as follows:

# Configuration of the "dfs" context for ganglia
 dfs.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
 dfs.period=10
 dfs.servers=hadoop1:8649 hadoop2:8649 hadoop3:8649 ejabber:8649

# Configuration of the "mapred" context for null
#mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.spi.NullContext

# Configuration of the "mapred" context for file
#mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.file.FileContext
#mapred.period=10
#mapred.fileName=/tmp/mrmetrics.log

# Configuration of the "mapred" context for ganglia
 mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
 mapred.period=10
 mapred.servers=hadoop1:8649 hadoop2:8649 hadoop3:8649 ejabber:8649

# Configuration of the "jvm" context for null
#jvm.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.spi.NullContext

# Configuration of the "jvm" context for file
#jvm.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.file.FileContext
#jvm.period=10
#jvm.fileName=/tmp/jvmmetrics.log

# Configuration of the "jvm" context for ganglia
 jvm.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
 jvm.period=10
 jvm.servers=hadoop1:8649 hadoop2:8649 hadoop3:8649 ejabber:8649

rpc.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
rpc.period=10
rpc.servers=hadoop1:8649 hadoop2:8649 hadoop3:8649 ejabber:8649

hadoop1,2,3 and ejabber are my nodes.

But I am unable to see any new metrics in ganglia's drop down menu. Is there
something else I need to do as well? I have restarted gmond on all nodes.

thanks,
Hari

Re: Using ganglia to monitor hadoop

Posted by Hari Sreekumar <hs...@clickable.com>.
Hey Matthew,

          Got it working now.... had to restart the cluster. I am not sure
if restarting the cluster is what did the trick though. Even after
restarting, I had no metrics for about half an hour and then they started
coming. Thanks a lot for helping me set it up!

Cheers,
Hari

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Matthew E. Kennedy <matt.kennedy@spadac.com

Posted by "Matthew E. Kennedy" <ma...@spadac.com>.

gc setting for hadoop

Posted by Jinsong Hu <ji...@hotmail.com>.
Hi, There:
  I have been searching good gc setting for hadoop namenode and datanode,
and I use this setting for
namenode and data node:

 -XX:NewSize=18m -XX:MaxNewSize=18m -XX:+
HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=70
 -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseCompressedOops
 -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -XX:+AggressiveOpts -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -
XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -Xmx3G -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8004 -Xloggc:/usr/lib/hadoop/logs/gc-namenode.log
 -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:PermSize=256m -XX
:MaxPermSize=256m

The problem , however, is that I see frequent CMS gc that happens every 100
second. and  2/3 of the GC says things like this:

 CMS: abort preclean due to time 795.999:
[CMS-concurrent-abortable-preclean: 0.
188/5.082 secs] [Times: user=0.15 sys=0.00, real=5.08 secs]

I searched internet and some people says that is ok. However, I would like
to see if anybody else has a good GC setting for hadoop that produces less
frequent GC and works well.

The advantage of the above setting is that it controls memory growth well,
and there is no sudden full GC.
the default setting without above tunning produces very bad gc profile. If
anybody else can share their gc tunning experience, that is really
appreciated.

Jimmy

Re: Using ganglia to monitor hadoop

Posted by Hari Sreekumar <hs...@clickable.com>.