Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1998/02/03 00:11:31 UTC

Re: apache-2.0 now clean

When we discussed this last week, a couple people wanted nothing
in the 2.0 repository, several more wanted nothing until 1.3.0,
and one person (Jim) apparently wanted a mirror of 1.3b3.  If you
call that a unilateral decision, fine.  I am willing to make a unilateral
decision when the alternative is insanity.

>The whole idea of having the 2.0 tree was that it would provide a
>place where people could put some coding effort into, thus leaving
>the 1.3 tree alone enough so we could stabilize it for a release.

No.  The whole idea of the 2.0 tree is to have a shared information
space that is specific to 2.0 development and in which people can work
on the 2.0 redesign.  The notion that we should throw a bunch of
unstable code into the directory and then just hack at it until it
resembles something like what someone might want in a 2.0 is utterly
absurd.  It doesn't make sense to start hacking until we have at least
some clue as to what the destination is supposed to look like, and to
do that we need people to commit their own plans for what they want
in 2.0.  Once they've done that, they can just copy the code they
are working on into the appropriate directories and go to it.
In any case, the 1.3 and 2.0 repositories will be disjoint!

In the meantime, however, I want to see it when someone makes a
change or addition to the 2.0 repository. In order for me to see such
things, automated mirroring of 1.3 changes into 2.0 must stop.

....Roy

Re: apache-2.0 now clean

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> No.  The whole idea of the 2.0 tree is to have a shared information
> space that is specific to 2.0 development and in which people can work
> on the 2.0 redesign.

Personally, I would rather have the "shared information space" be
apache-devsite rather than apache-2.0.  Really.  I don't like the
idea of cluttering the to-be development area with plans and
discussions.  We have an area for project plans and what-not;
let's use that.  Please.

> In the meantime, however, I want to see it when someone makes a
> change or addition to the 2.0 repository.

Doing this in the apache-devsite directoy retains this ability,
and doesn't complicate the usage paradigm of the development tree.
IMHO.

#ken	P-)}

Re: apache-2.0 now clean

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
FWIW, I approve what Roy did, given the collective [non-]consensus.  It
makes more sense to have the 2.0 idea documents there before any code.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com