Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Michael Baranov <mi...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/21 01:47:43 UTC

Newbie Help

Hi!

I'm trying to give lenya a spin. So far I was able to checkout 2.0.x
from svn, compile and run it with jetty. It all seems fine, but when I
go to live mode of any publication (including default) I get: "An error
occured. Please contact your system administrator." BTW, the same error
is here: http://lenya.zones.apache.org:9999/default/live/index.html
What's that? Am I missing something? Thank you!

Michael.

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi there

Am 21.02.2008 um 11:34 schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Strange, that used to produce a 404 ... Does someone have the time to
>> look at it or file a bug report? TIA! I'll try to take care of it
>> asap.
>
> are you sure?
> last time i looked at your 404 improvements, iirc it caught missing
> lenya documents, but not a missing sitetree, which seems to be the
> issue
> here. perhaps we should just generate an empty one in the "create
> publication" usecase... (just a shot in the dark - i don't have access
> to a lenya system atm.)

I filed a bug: 44462

bests

Jürgen

null-oder-eins GmbH Zürich
web & graphic design

www.null-oder-eins.ch

ragaller@apache.org
Skype: callto://ragaller

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jürgen Ragaller schrieb:
> Hello Michael
>

> Am 21.02.2008 um 01:47 schrieb Michael Baranov:
>>

>> I'm trying to give lenya a spin. So far I was able to checkout 2.0.x
>> from svn, compile and run it with jetty.
>
> nice.
>
>> It all seems fine, but when I go to live mode of any publication
>> (including default) I get: "An error occured. Please contact your
>> system administrator." BTW, the same error is here:
>> http://lenya.zones.apache.org:9999/default/live/index.html
>> What's that? Am I missing something?
>
> The error message You get is due to the fact, that no documents were
> published yet - therefore no sitetree.xml is present in the live area.
> You can see the complete error message in the source view of the error
> page.
>
> I think a message like "no pages have been published yet" would be more
> informative.

Strange, that used to produce a 404 ... Does someone have the time to
look at it or file a bug report? TIA! I'll try to take care of it asap.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Heyden schrieb:
> hey there,
>

> i'm quitly following your mailing list in the last weeks and i just want
> to announce my interest in
> a poll module. until i got some more time left i cannot really
> contribute to modules in lenya but
> in general i think lenya lacks features to interact with the frontend
> users by now.

this is a consequence of the project focus and of the limited community
size. In a very early community meeting (IIRC it was 2003 or 2004), we
decided to include only generic content management features. This
resulted in a quite low target number in the "Feature Set" roadmap category:
http://lenya.apache.org/roadmap.html#positioning

The major goals were to
- keep the codebase maintainable
- avoid distraction from the core competences
- preserve the framework character of Lenya
   (don't let it become yet another CMS)

IMHO the most desirable situation would be that the Lenya project
provides the framework and the community provides modules as 3rd-party
products, or maybe as subprojects at the ASF after the mandatory
incubation period.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Sebastian Heyden <se...@gmail.com>.
hey there,

i'm quitly following your mailing list in the last weeks and i just want to
announce my interest in
a poll module. until i got some more time left i cannot really contribute to
modules in lenya but
in general i think lenya lacks features to interact with the frontend users
by now. never the less
i'm looking forward to use lenya on my next project and contribute things
that i write if they seem
useful for others to.

best regards,
sebastian

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Michael Baranov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Jürgen Ragaller wrote:

> The error message You get is due to the fact, that no documents were
> published yet - therefore no sitetree.xml is present in the live area.
> You can see the complete error message in the source view of the error
> page.
>
> I think a message like "no pages have been published yet" would be
> more informative.
Thanks for your help! I figured that out myself after a couple of hours ;-(
I've played with lenya for some time and I have a couple of further
questions, if you don't mind:

1) How do I modify the looks of the resulting site/publication? Do I
need to exit XSL/css files for the respective modules? Is there a guide
telling what files I might need and what XSLs render what part of the
page(s)?
2) When I create an xhtml page, I only have 2 styles available: default
and  2 column. How can I add more?
3) How can I remove other languages support from a publication? I only
need  English and I don't want the country icons appearing all the time
in live mode.
4) Is there a tutorial/howto to create own cocoon/lenya modules? I would
like to have a poll module (I could contribute it in case of success).

Thanks for your help and thanks for the nice software!
Michael.

Re: Newbie Help

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hello Michael