Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2004/08/18 00:35:47 UTC

site.xml: is there a practical upper limit to number of files?

I'm populating a web site with user docs composed of 6 manuals organized
into 770 files.

The left-hand site menu lists the title of each doc along with the table
of contents and index. Individual files are not included on the menu,
but to keep each one associated with the correct manual, I'm adding a
entry for it in site.xml without a label; i.e., like the file*.html
entries below:

   <reference label="Reference Manual" href="reference/">
         <toc label="Table of Contents" href="toc.html"
             description="Table of Contents" />
         <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Index"/>
         <file1 href="file1.html"/>
         <file2 href="file2.html"/>
         <file3 href="file3.html"/>
   </reference>

Without these individual entries in site.xml, pulling up a page causes
the menu to suddenly display entries for all tabs on the site.

So, what I'm doing seems to work well, at least for the two manuals I
have loaded so far. But I'm wondering if there's a practical limit to
the number of files that can be included in site.xml.

thanks in advance for any advice,

 -jean

Re: site.xml: is there a practical upper limit to number of files?

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 13:54, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> There shouldn't be any limit, except by your computer's memory :-)  It
> might not scale well at high numbers, but I'm not sure.
>
> If adding each file individually is too much work, and digging into some
> forrest internals doesn't sound like too much work you can try using a
> DirectoryGenerator.  See
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=106517557805119&w=2  That
> probably would be more work now than adding each file individually, but it
> might be useful in the long run if it works.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Adding each file individually isn't too bad -- I'm able to manipulate
'ls' output with awk to build an accurate list.

thanks for the feedback,

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net