Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by AxonOps <ax...@digitalis.io> on 2019/02/14 18:15:04 UTC

AxonOps - Cassandra operational management tool

Hi folks,

We are excited to announce AxonOps, an operational management tool for
Apache Cassandra, is now ready for Beta testing.

We'd be interested to hear you try this and let us know what you think!

Please read the installation instructions on https://www.axonops.com

AxonOps Team

Re: AxonOps - Cassandra operational management tool

Posted by AxonOps <ax...@digitalis.io>.
Thank you for taking the time for writing this great feedback. I've
commented in-line to yours.

Hayato

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 01:04, Rahul Singh <ra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Nice.. Good to see the community producing tools around the Cassandra
> product.
>
> Few pieces of feedback
>
> *Kudos*
> 1. Glad that you are doing it

Thanks! We're having fun doing it.

> 2. Looks great

Thanks, there's more to come :-)

> 3. Willing to try it out if you find this guy called "Free Time" for me :)

I'm still looking for this guy.

> *Criticism*
> 1. It mimics a lot of stack components that are out there.. Though I agree
> with you that the prometheus/grafana/etc stack is difficult to get running,
> I look at
> https://docs.scylladb.com/operating-scylla/monitoring/monitoring_stack/
> and give them kudos for just making a simple tool to leverage what's there.
> Even DSE is now drinking the prometheus coolaid
> https://www.datastax.com/2018/12/improved-performance-diagnostics-with-datastax-metrics-collector

We definitely took inspiration from the tooling stack that we have been
using, including Grafana. In terms of drinking the Prometheus cool aid, our
server API provides Prometheus query API. This is currently undocumented
but we are intending to add a section to our docs. It means you can point
your Grafana to AxonOps server API and integrate with your existing
dashboards.

The way Prometheus "scrapes" metrics was where we wanted to be different
with AxonOps. Prometheus servers must co-exist in the same private network
as Cassandra servers in order to scrape the agent HTTP endpoints. There is
Prometheus Push Gateway but that is yet another component to add to our
monitoring stack. AxonOps agent initiates the connection to server using
HTTPS/WebSocket, meaning AxonOps server can reside in an entirely different
network. Just to experiment how far we can take this, we tested the agent
connecting through an outbound web proxy -> internet -> Cloudflare edge
load balancer -> AWS load balancer -> VPC -> nginx (F5!!) -> AxonOps
server. It worked very well with this setup.

This single socket HTTPS/WebSocket connection between the server and the
agent provides a bi-directional communication, where repair/backup/config
update commands traverse back the same connection as the metrics/logs etc.

If you have a multi-cloud/hybrid Cassandra deployment, you can
theoretically have a Cassandra cluster spanning across GCP, on-premises,
and AWS, it is entirely feasible to have the AxonOps server hosted in Azure
without having VPN connections to GCP/AWS/on-premises.

> 2. Given a choice of making something on my own (1), using a "stack"
> approach similar to Scylla (2), buying something that DSE produces (3), or
> buying AxonOps (4), the challenge for a practioner will be whether the cost
> offsets the effective pains of options 1 (more time),2( less time),3 (money)
>
> You can install it from our APT/YUM repos without charge, with each server
instance supporting up to 6 Cassandra nodes. We believe those people with
production clusters of this size, of which there are many, will find this
tool useful.

Posted by Rahul Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by AxonOps <ax...@digitalis.io>.
Hi Kenneth,