Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/04 18:55:43 UTC

LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Hi all,

I have just moved the LogBrowser project Tomasz was working upon as part of
GSOC 2010 to the trunk. I've done few minor changes before moving it in.

- rt/management-web has a new package,
org.apache.cxf.management.web.browser* which contains the code for the
browser. It was org.apache.cxf.management.web.logging.logbrowser* in the
sandbox but I thought we might enhance it in the future to work
PersistingIn/Out interceptors in the rt/management so decided to simplify
the package name.

- samples/logbrowser is the demo showing the LogBrowser in action.

It may make sense even move the whole rt/management-web into a CXF
subproject, we'll see. For now, I'd like to have the browser polished and
then we can decide.

The GWT compilation will happen as part of building the rt/management-web,
so the final jar will actually have the generated GWT code and resources
included. We may consider doing it during the demo run, but again, lets try
to polish the browser first.

Tomasz, first of all congrats, I think it is good that your project is
moving to the trunk.
I'd appreciate if you could help me a bit with the initial clean-up, hope
you'll find some time.  You are a CXF committer now so you can do changes on
the trunk...

Here is the initial list  of issues which I need some help with :

1. LogBrowser has a showstopper bug which I'm sure is due to the fact we
just did not look at it for a while :-). Basically, when I go and generate
the logs, and then click 'refresh' on the endpoint, the browser reports an
exception.
The AtomPullServer is functioning ok, Firefox subscribes to the Atom Feed
with no probs.

2. Please move ManageEndpoints button either immediately above or below the
Filter button

3. Remove the Tasks and Endpoints buttons/entries, lets have it the way you
did it originally. We only need to  see the list of endpoints which will be
added via "ManageEndpoints", the explorer style is just too complex.

4. When I go to ManageEndpoints, "Sign Out" leaks into the new panel and
overlaps with the "Settings" entry,

5. In ManageEndpoints please change "back to browse" to "Back to Explorer"

6. We will need to think what to do with the jscript library added to the
demo - we will have to link to its via remore URI or simple do a simpler
plain HTML form - not a priority right now.

Hope it's not a big list :-). We will catch up on the GWT dev a bit and I
also hope other users with the GWT experience contribute in time. What I
will do before 2.4 is look at the browser code and see what I can refactor
but also add some helpers to the AtomPullServer so that users can use it for
reading from the existing file logs...

Thanks, Sergey

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
I had to disable the compilation of the browser subpackage for now due to
Hudson compoling with Java 1.5 and the subpackage requiring 1.6.

Tomasz - when you get a chance, please re-enable the compilation in your
local snapshot and work with 1.6 - once we have things polished then we will
probably need to it all to the sub-project

thanks, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Forgot one thing, the GWT compiler generates this warning:

[INFO]                [WARN] g:DecoratedTabPanel is deprecated. Use the
g:TabLayoutPanel instead.

this is just FYI, not critical at all, for now those 2 issues I described
below are a priority...

thanks, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Tomasz Oponowicz
<to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> Fixed.
>
> The schema of log entry has been changed. From 'eventTimestamp' to 'date'.

Sorry, that was my fault I did not think it would affect the browser.
I did update that property name so that
it was easier to express queries with dates:

/logs?_s=date=le=2011-03-04

is a bit simpler than

/logs?_s=eventTimestamp=le=2011-03-04

> Later I will prepare unit test for checking contract between client and server.

Please, whenever you get a chance. Using alternate feed/entries will
simplify this issue because a pure HTML will be returned.
However, GWT does give us more flexibility in the way individual
entries are displayed, etc, so lets stick to using GWT for now :-)

thanks, Sergey

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz -

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Application Integration Division of Talend <http://www.talend.com>

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> Probably one open issue is to figure out what to do with different .js
> > scripts. ? The scripts which are in the rt/management-web module, can
> they
> > be Apache licensed ? Dan - what do you think ?
>
> There are:
>
> * json2.min.js - Public Domain;
> * uuid.min.js - Dual licensed under the MIT and GPL licenses;
>
> Are those scripts basic enough for us just to do our own simple scripts ?

> > The script which is shipped with the log browser demo - should we remove
> it
> > and just use a plain client code to do the invocations for the logs be
> > generated ?

I guess we will need to remove that one, I can do it and just add the
WebClient based demo code...

thanks, Sergey

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomasz
>>
>> > Can you do a sanity check please and confirm that only those filter
>> > fields
>> > which are selected are added to the URI ?
>> > Example, if the filter becomes empty then the query is set to null/empty
>> > value, if only the 'from'  date field selected then it is
>> >
>> > _s=date=lt=2011-03-07
>> >
>> > only. And yes, the message value should have '*' symbols on both ends of
>> > the
>> > entered value....
>>
>> Done.
>>
>> Some variations from current implementation:
>>

>> /log/logs?_s=phrase==*test%20test*;date=ge=2011-03-17;date=lt=2011-03-07;(level==INFO,level==WARN)
>>
>> /log/logs?_s=phrase==*test*;date=ge=2011-03-17;date=lt=2011-03-07;(level==INFO,level==WARN)
>> /log/logs?_s=level==INFO,level==WARN
>> /log/logs?_s=date=ge=2011-03-23
>>

> That is exactly what is needed, nice...A very minor fix is needed - replace
> 'phrase' with 'message' - this is because LogRecord has a property
> 'message', it's really a minor issue...

Fixed.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomasz
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Tomasz Oponowicz
> <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sergey,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Tomasz
>> >
>> > I'm finishing some work for AtomPullServer be able to connect to the
>> > existing file logs, I saw you committing some relevant updates to the
>> > LogBrowser code too, thanks. I'll will experiment with the Filter dialog
>> > shortly.
>>
>> I've just added logic to "Filter" dialog box.
>>
>> It doesn't work because we have to talk about how should I pass
>> attributes to AtomPullServer. At the moment I'm building URL:
>>

>> <endpoint_url>?_s=date=ge=1299668400000;date=lt=1300273200000;level==DEBUG;level==WARN
>>
>> How should I pass an array of levels?
>>

> ';' means 'and' while ',' means 'or' so in this case we have to use ',' :
>
> <endpoint_url>?_s=level==WARN,level==DEBUG
>
> Dates need to be passed differently, you can probably use the following
> code:
>
> String format = "yyyy-MM-dd";
> String date = new SimpleDateFormat(format).format(date);
> and add it to the query.
>
> I'll need to write a test involving dates as well.

Fixed.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

> In org.apache.cxf.management.web.browser.client.service.browser.Entry
> class, line 213:
>
>        @Nullable
>        public Date getEventTimestamp() {
>            String value = getTagValue(EVENT_TIMESTAMP_TAG);
>            return value != null ? DATETIME_FORMATTER.parse(value) : null;
>        }
>
> And the definition of the DATETIME_FORMATTER is:
>
>        private static final DateTimeFormat DATETIME_FORMATTER =
>            DateTimeFormat.getFormat("yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss'.'SSSZ");

Very good, thanks

> During a merge you removed some test classes which allows you to
> execute full feature debug mode.
> I can provide a patch (with these classes) and some instructions if you
> want.

Please do, sorry about that ...

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomasz

>> > ';' means 'and' while ',' means 'or' so in this case we have to use ','
>> > :
>> >
>> > <endpoint_url>?_s=level==WARN,level==DEBUG
>> >
>> > Dates need to be passed differently, you can probably use the following
>> > code:
>> >
>> > String format = "yyyy-MM-dd";
>> > String date = new SimpleDateFormat(format).format(date);
>> > and add it to the query.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> We also have a message property there so just wanted to ask you to add
> wildcards on both sides of the typed phrase.
> For example, "find all the log records with messages containing a 'problem'
> word":
>
> _s=message==*problem*
>
> realistically we should let users do partial checks, and we can't expect
> them to type the complete message for a match to succeed, so adding
> wildcards allows for it. "*problem" and "problem*" are more specific
> possibilities which won't apply in our case...
>
> Hope I'm not stressing you too much :-) - I appreciate you are busy with
> your own work,

No problem. It looks like quick fix. I will look at this on Monday.

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomasz
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Tomasz Oponowicz
> <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sergey,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Tomasz
>> >
>> > I'm finishing some work for AtomPullServer be able to connect to the
>> > existing file logs, I saw you committing some relevant updates to the
>> > LogBrowser code too, thanks. I'll will experiment with the Filter dialog
>> > shortly.
>>
>> I've just added logic to "Filter" dialog box.
>>
>> It doesn't work because we have to talk about how should I pass
>> attributes to AtomPullServer. At the moment I'm building URL:
>>

>> <endpoint_url>?_s=date=ge=1299668400000;date=lt=1300273200000;level==DEBUG;level==WARN
>>
>> How should I pass an array of levels?
>>

> ';' means 'and' while ',' means 'or' so in this case we have to use ',' :
>
> <endpoint_url>?_s=level==WARN,level==DEBUG
>
> Dates need to be passed differently, you can probably use the following
> code:
>
> String format = "yyyy-MM-dd";
> String date = new SimpleDateFormat(format).format(date);
> and add it to the query.

Thanks.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Tomasz Oponowicz <tomasz.oponowicz@gmail.com

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
String text = columnDefinition.getContent(entry);

in SelectableTable.setData

is causing it,

and it's only happening when the Date column is filled in, the Level
and Message are fine.

Looks like the code co0nverting the Atom/http-format date is brittle a bit

cheers, Sergey

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomasz
>
> I've spent some time and it is some sort of the asynchronous exception
> which when captured shows the Date of the log entry. It is thrown when
> the ViewerViewImpl.setEntries(List<Entry> entries) is called. We'll
> track it down soon :-)
>
> Sergey
>
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Tomasz Oponowicz
> <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sergey,
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Tomasz
>>>
>>> I've rerun the demo.
>>> First of all, the changes you've made recently have definitely made it
>>> look much better, thanks.
>>> Unfortunately, I'm still hitting this GWT ApplicationException when
>>> refreshing the endpoint :
>>> "
>>> Application Error
>>> Class$jcb
>>> 2011-02-25T11:46:55.078Z

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> Few more comments. I agree, the way Tasks and Endpoints are currently
> shown is nice.
>
> - Can you please consider having both ManageEndpoints and Filter links
> located under the "Tasks" ? And have Endpoints shown first, with the
> "Tasks" in the bottom of the pane ? Ultimately, the user just wants to
> see the list of endpoints. Creating/deleting the endpoints and
> applying filters is critical but I'd just prefer the "Tasks" not to
> feature as the main activity of the LogBrowser users...

I'm looking at it again and I kind of like it, the way the pane looks
now, so I'll let it up to you to decide how the final layout should
look like. May be try to move the Tasks to the bottom of the pane and
if you like it then update the code, if not then lets leave the things
the way they are now at the moment :-). I'm sure we'll get some
feedback later on too...

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomasz

>> I can't reproduce this (however it doesn't mean that there isn't bug ;) ).
>>
>> To solidify my understanding, use case:
>>
>> 1) Run 'logbrowser' through sample;
>> 2) Go to 'http://localhost:9002/log/browser/LogBrowser.html';
>> 3) Add new endpoint with URL 'http://localhost:9002/log/logs';
>> 4) Select newly created endpoint;
>> 5) In new tab open 'http://localhost:9002/customer-service.html' and
>> add few 'customers';
>> 6) Click 'refresh' link;
>>
>> Expected:
>> List is refreshed and new items are shown.
>>
>> Environment:
>> Firefox 3.6.x
>>
>> Is this use case correct? Thanks for your help.
>>

> It is, I'll try again asap - definitely looks like a platform/browser
> specific issue, it's Ubuntu 9 + FireFox 3.6.13 which I upgraded to
> recently using the apt-get facility...So I'm not worried really then,
> but I'll try again, and on Windows too...
>
>> Maybe try with force refresh (i.e. "Ctrl + R"). However I have to add
>> revision number to static resources URL to avoid cache problems.
>>
>>> this is is the only main issue at the moment

>>> I'm thinking that given we have a Filter button in the bottom of the
>>> left-side pane, it would be ok to have both 'Manage Endpoints' and
>>> 'Filters' co-located...

According to 2, 3:

I left old layout, but I fixed CSS. It looks really nice now.

We need layout which is easy to extend. Section "tasks" give us
ability to add new actions later. I think it makes sense to keep this
layout.

>> Fixed.
>
> Super

In general I committed many layout fixes.

>> I noticed that when you use latest Chrome or Safari, list of logs and
>> detailed view isn't shown. I consider this as a blocker. I will
>> prepare fix for this ASAP.

Fixed.

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz -

I've seen you doing a bunch of fixes - thanks a million.
I'm going to start focusing on the browser too very soon - just
finalizing the last few improvements for the transformation feature.
Hope we'll get the shiny log browser ready in time for 2.4.0 :-)

talk to you later
Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomasz
>
> It's really nice to hear from you again :-)
>

>>> Here is the initial list  of issues which I need some help with :
>>>
>>> 1. LogBrowser has a showstopper bug which I'm sure is due to the fact we
>>> just did not look at it for a while :-). Basically, when I go and generate
>>> the logs, and then click 'refresh' on the endpoint, the browser reports an
>>> exception.

I can't reproduce this (however it doesn't mean that there isn't bug ;) ).

To solidify my understanding, use case:

1) Run 'logbrowser' through sample;
2) Go to 'http://localhost:9002/log/browser/LogBrowser.html';
3) Add new endpoint with URL 'http://localhost:9002/log/logs';
4) Select newly created endpoint;
5) In new tab open 'http://localhost:9002/customer-service.html' and
add few 'customers';
6) Click 'refresh' link;

Expected:
List is refreshed and new items are shown.

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomasz

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks Daniel for a fix. Looks fine - error dialog works without issue.

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk

Posted by Tomasz Oponowicz <to...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for long silence... I'll look at all issues/problems

--
Best regards,
Tomasz Oponowicz

Re: LogBrowser project is on the trunk