Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2005/05/29 18:30:52 UTC

Changes to new committers page

I have made some changes to the new committers page to better reflect
practices, including Roy's resurrection of the private discussion/public
vote approach.  I wouldn't mind documenting it even as a preferred approach.

In any event, please review.

And, yes, it does not describe current practices in the umbrella projects,
where we "discovered" that the structure of an umbrella project does not fit
with ASF best practices (and, hence, are slowly changing them).

	--- Noel

RE: Apache JDO

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Craig Russell wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Craig Russell wrote:
>>> Google "Apache JDO" and you get a hit for Apache OJB. You would never
>>> guess that we're building the API and TCK for JDO 2.0 here.
>>>
>>> Apache JDO has a sponsor, committers, a repository, a JIRA, and wiki
>>> pages. It's just not visible on the incubator pages.
>>
>>> Can you or someone help fix this lack of visibility?
>>
>> Sure.  Where is the project's web site?  I see:
>>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jdo
> That's the svn repository.

Right.  As I said, I don't see any web content.
>>  Has the project done anything about web content?
> Not that I'm aware of. We have been focused on the repository and the
> wiki instead of web content. The wiki is at http://wiki.apache.org/jdo/.

Mostly for performance reasons, we do not permit spidering of the Wiki.
The hit is just too high.  We're hoping that can change after we update
the OS and maybe get some other changes into place.

Much of what I see on the Wiki is static content suitable to be moved to a
normal static site under http://incubator.apache.org/jdo describing the
project.  Doing so is one of the project's responsibilities.  Your
mentor(s) should be able to help with that effort.  If not, please let us
know.

	--- Noel

RE: Apache JDO

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Apache JDO

Posted by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Noel,

On May 29, 2005, at 1:26 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> Google "Apache JDO" and you get a hit for Apache OJB. You would never
>> guess that we're building the API and TCK for JDO 2.0 here.
>
>> Apache JDO has a sponsor, committers, a repository, a JIRA, and wiki
>> pages. It's just not visible on the incubator pages.
>
>> Can you or someone help fix this lack of visibility?
>
> Sure.  Where is the project's web site?  I see:
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jdo

That's the svn repository.

> but I don't see any web content.  Has the project done anything about
> web
> content?

Not that I'm aware of. We have been focused on the repository and the
wiki instead of web content. The wiki is at
http://wiki.apache.org/jdo/.

> As an even higher priority, I do not see the status file for JDO in
> SVN:
>

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/
> projects/
>
> That should have been done from the get go, and must be done ASAP.  I
> have
> sent e-mail on that separately.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

Craig

> 	--- Noel

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Apache JDO

Posted by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Noel,

Apache JDO

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Apache JDO

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Changes to new committers page

Posted by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Noel,

Google "Apache JDO" and you get a hit for Apache OJB. You would never
guess that we're building the API and TCK for JDO 2.0 here.

Apache JDO has a sponsor, committers, a repository, a JIRA, and wiki
pages. It's just not visible on the incubator pages.

Can you or someone help fix this lack of visibility?

Thanks!

Craig

Posted by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Noel,