Posted to websh-dev@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2002/02/08 16:31:47 UTC

external software?

I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
their apache tcl installations.

XML
 - which ones?

Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

gdtclft?
incr Tcl?
TclX?

shared memory? (need to write interface to libmm...)

Maybe we ought to look at distributing some of this stuff directly
from tcl.apache.org, to make people's lives easier.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: external software?

Posted by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>.

David N. Welton wrote:
> Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org> writes:
>

>>David N. Welton wrote:
>>

>>>I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
>>>their apache tcl installations.
>>>XML
>>> - which ones?
>>>

>>I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.
>>

> Ok.  I'll have a look.
>

>>>Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle
>>>

>>Definitely.
> Any recommendations for the mysql interface to use?  tcl-sql and
> mysqltcl are the two candidates.  mysqltcl is a bit limited,
> unfortunately.  I tried to write an interface for it to Michael
> Cleverly's database layer, but it's lacking some of the necessary
> features:-(

I'm using tcl-sql, but the distro version lacks unicode support :(

I'm not sure if I have the modified source somewhere, though. I'll try
to find it :)

>>I know you don't like it, but bundling stuff with mod_dtcl (the so
>>called 'kitchen sink') would be nice.
> Well, Damon wants to do that, and I think what we'll end up doing is
> having two or more distributions.  One with all the crap loaded up,
> and another 'core' one.  Although, the best solution would be to be
> able to get stuff off the web, on-demand...:-/

I hope I'll live to see a big distro with the latest Tcl, the SQL
modules and rivet/websh/dtcl, some memory sharing module and TclX in one
.tgz you just 'make && make install' :)

--
WK

Re: external software?

Posted by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>.

Re: external software?

Posted by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>.

Re: external software?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org> writes:

> David N. Welton wrote:

> > I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> > their apache tcl installations.
> > XML
> >  - which ones?

> I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

Ok.  I'll have a look.

> > Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

> Definitely.

Any recommendations for the mysql interface to use?  tcl-sql and
mysqltcl are the two candidates.  mysqltcl is a bit limited,
unfortunately.  I tried to write an interface for it to Michael
Cleverly's database layer, but it's lacking some of the necessary
features:-(

> > gdtclft?
> > incr Tcl?

> Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything
> else than GUI.

Ok.

> > TclX?

> This one is tricky.

I think it's worth putting it on the page in some way.

> > shared memory? (need to write interface to libmm...)

> I suppose something for sharing data would be cool - ie ap_share set
> domain name value

Just finished writing the interface:-) It's pretty cool, although I
have a sneaking suspicion that something else useing sockets is
probably much better, in that it's more portable, and doesn't suffer
from some of the limitations...

Re: external software?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org> writes:

> David N. Welton wrote:

> > I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> > their apache tcl installations.
> > XML
> >  - which ones?

> I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

Ok.  I'll have a look.

> > Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

> Definitely.

Any recommendations for the mysql interface to use?  tcl-sql and
mysqltcl are the two candidates.  mysqltcl is a bit limited,
unfortunately.  I tried to write an interface for it to Michael
Cleverly's database layer, but it's lacking some of the necessary
features:-(

> > gdtclft?
> > incr Tcl?

> Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything
> else than GUI.

Ok.

Re: external software?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org> writes:

> David N. Welton wrote:

> > I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> > their apache tcl installations.
> > XML
> >  - which ones?

> I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

Ok.  I'll have a look.

> > Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

> Definitely.

Any recommendations for the mysql interface to use?  tcl-sql and
mysqltcl are the two candidates.  mysqltcl is a bit limited,
unfortunately.  I tried to write an interface for it to Michael
Cleverly's database layer, but it's lacking some of the necessary
features:-(

> > gdtclft?
> > incr Tcl?

> Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything
> else than GUI.

Ok.

Re: external software?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org> writes:

> David N. Welton wrote:

> > I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> > their apache tcl installations.
> > XML
> >  - which ones?

> I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

Ok.  I'll have a look.

> > Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

> Definitely.

Any recommendations for the mysql interface to use?  tcl-sql and
mysqltcl are the two candidates.  mysqltcl is a bit limited,
unfortunately.  I tried to write an interface for it to Michael
Cleverly's database layer, but it's lacking some of the necessary
features:-(

> > gdtclft?
> > incr Tcl?

> Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything
> else than GUI.

Ok.

Re: external software?

Posted by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>.

David N. Welton wrote:
> I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> their apache tcl installations.
>
> XML
>  - which ones?
I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

> Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

Definitely.

> gdtclft?
> incr Tcl?

Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything else
than GUI.

> TclX?

This one is tricky.

Re: external software?

Posted by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>.

David N. Welton wrote:
> I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> their apache tcl installations.
>
> XML
>  - which ones?
I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

> Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

Definitely.

> gdtclft?
> incr Tcl?

Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything else
than GUI.

> TclX?

This one is tricky.

Re: external software?

Posted by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>.

David N. Welton wrote:
> I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> their apache tcl installations.
>
> XML
>  - which ones?
I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

> Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

Definitely.

> gdtclft?
> incr Tcl?

Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything else
than GUI.

> TclX?

This one is tricky.

Re: external software?

Posted by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>.

David N. Welton wrote:
> I'm trying to think up a list of what people would like to use from
> their apache tcl installations.
>
> XML
>  - which ones?
I suppose TclDOM 2. and TclXML 2.x thetas are the most interesting ones.

> Database stuff - mysql, postgres, oracle

Definitely.

> gdtclft?
> incr Tcl?

Probably just a big bloat - I never lacked OO in Tcl for anything else
than GUI.

> TclX?

This one is tricky.