Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Sethi , Manish" <Ma...@time0.com> on 2000/03/30 19:33:31 UTC

XSL Formatters

I recently started using cocoon. But some of its formatters seem doing not
much to me. like:

1. Text formatter simply pick-up the text between <fo:..> tags and ignore
the tags. i.e. Don't do rendering of the text.

2. HTML formatter simply add one line in start of the document after
removing formatting instructions. Rest of the stuff remains same as
submitted. i.e. An XML document containing formatting tags and text between
them.

3. PDF formatter seems to be working good.

4. I couldn't understand what does an XML formatter means.

What I concluded is that the Text formatter and HTML formatter are yet to be
implemented fully?

5. If I want to do simple XSL Transformation i.e. no Formatting. I thought I
would be giving only
<?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="filename.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>

i.e. no <?cocoon-format..........?> but even then it is picking the
formatter. That is defined for deafault in cocoon.properties. Is there
anyway of getting only tranformation, no formatting....

I appreciate if someone can clarify.

Thanks
Manish

Re: XSL Formatters

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Sethi , Manish wrote:

> 5. If I want to do simple XSL Transformation i.e. no Formatting. I thought I
> would be giving only
> <?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
> <?xml-stylesheet href="filename.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
>
> i.e. no <?cocoon-format..........?> but even then it is picking the
> formatter. That is defined for deafault in cocoon.properties. Is there
> anyway of getting only tranformation, no formatting....

You must have a formatter - there must be some way of taking the XML
document you've just created in memory and serializing it as characters.
You probably want:

<?cocoon-format type="text/xml"?>

to force the XML formatter - otherwise the default is generally the HTML
formatter which will make things look... interesting... for non-XHTML XML.

- donald