Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2001/11/01 04:01:19 UTC

Authentication tutorial

A long long long time ago, I promised an authentication tutorial. I have
a first cut at such a beast, and it can be seen at
http://apacheadmin.com/auth.html  Please let me know what you think
about it, whether you think it will work in the docs, if there are any
glaring problems with it, and etc. If everyone likes it, we can do the
necessary stuff to get it in the Apache Documentation format and look.

Thanks

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://www.rcbowen.com/kenya/

Re: Authentication tutorial

Posted by Fabio Mengue <fa...@ccuec.unicamp.br>.
Fails to find

http://apacheadmin.com/ApacheAdmin.css

:)

Fabio.

Rich Bowen wrote:

> A long long long time ago, I promised an authentication tutorial. I have
> a first cut at such a beast, and it can be seen at
> http://apacheadmin.com/auth.html  Please let me know what you think
> about it, whether you think it will work in the docs, if there are any
> glaring problems with it, and etc. If everyone likes it, we can do the
> necessary stuff to get it in the Apache Documentation format and look.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
> http://www.rcbowen.com/kenya/

Fabio Mengue - Centro de Computacao - Unicamp
fabio@ccuec.unicamp.br       fabio@unicamp.br
Vacum ad brejus mobilet

RE: Authentication tutorial

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> > I only read it quickly, but I see no major errors or ommissions.
>
> One minor suggestion (if I get a chance, I'll read it in more depth later):
>
> You talk about mod_auth_db/mod_auth_dbm as if they were a whole different
> type of authentication.  You should make it clear that they are just basic
> auth (as in mod_auth) but with a different set of backing files (db(m)
> instead of plain text).

OK, thanks. I'll try to make that more clear.

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings

RE: Authentication tutorial

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

> I only read it quickly, but I see no major errors or ommissions.

One minor suggestion (if I get a chance, I'll read it in more depth later):

You talk about mod_auth_db/mod_auth_dbm as if they were a whole different
type of authentication.  You should make it clear that they are just basic
auth (as in mod_auth) but with a different set of backing files (db(m)
instead of plain text).

Joshua.

RE: Authentication tutorial

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

> From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]
>
> A long long long time ago, I promised an authentication tutorial. I have
> a first cut at such a beast, and it can be seen at
> http://apacheadmin.com/auth.html  Please let me know what you think
> about it, whether you think it will work in the docs, if there are any
> glaring problems with it, and etc. If everyone likes it, we can do the
> necessary stuff to get it in the Apache Documentation format and look.

Very nice!

Re: AW: Authentication tutorial

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Christofer Muhm wrote:

> Authentication tutorialI get the following error ... seems you've missed the
> .css file ... :)

Bah. Auto-generated HTML is very annoying some times.

OK, I've put the css there, not that it is really useful. Sorry about
that.

http://geeks.cre8tivegroup.com/  --- Work
http://www.rcbowen.com/ --- Play

AW: Authentication tutorial

Posted by Christofer Muhm <cm...@netegrity.com>.
Authentication tutorialI get the following error ... seems you've missed the
.css file ... :)

Not Found

The requested URL /ApacheAdmin.css was not found on this server.