Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com> on 2016/04/08 23:41:01 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-4 Metadata Schema (Round 2)

I would like to re-initiate the voting process for the "KIP-4 Metadata
Schema changes". This is not a vote for all of KIP-4, but specifically for
the metadata changes. I have included the exact changes below for clarity:

> Metadata Request (version 1)
>

> MetadataRequest => [topics]
>
> Stays the same as version 0 however behavior changes.
> In version 0 there was no way to request no topics, and and empty list
> signified all topics.
> In version 1 a null topics list (size -1 on the wire) will indicate that a
> user wants *ALL* topic metadata. Compared to an empty list (size 0) which
> indicates metadata for *NO* topics should be returned.
> Metadata Response (version 1)
>

> MetadataResponse => [brokers] controllerId [topic_metadata]
>   brokers => node_id host port rack
>     node_id => INT32
>     host => STRING
>     port => INT32
>     rack => NULLABLE_STRING
>   controllerId => INT32
>   topic_metadata => topic_error_code topic is_internal [partition_metadata]
>     topic_error_code => INT16
>     topic => STRING
>     is_internal => BOOLEAN
>     partition_metadata => partition_error_code partition_id leader [replicas] [isr]
>       partition_error_code => INT16
>       partition_id => INT32
>       leader => INT32
>       replicas => INT32
>       isr => INT32
>
> Adds rack, controller_id, and is_internal to the version 0 response.

The KIP is available here for reference (linked to the Metadata schema
section):
*https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-MetadataSchema
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-MetadataSchema>*

A pull request is available implementing the proposed changes here:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/1095

Here are some links to past discussions on the mailing list:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/uyzND1pd4T52H1m0u1&subj=Re+KIP+4+Wiki+Update
http://search-hadoop.com/m/uyzND1J2IXeSNXAT&subj=Metadata+and+ACLs+wire+protocol+review+KIP+4+

Here is the previous vote discussion (please take a look and discuss there):
http://search-hadoop.com/m/uyzND1xlaiU10QlYX&subj=+VOTE+KIP+4+Metadata+Schema

Thank you,
Grant
--
Grant Henke
Software Engineer | Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] KIP-4 Metadata Schema (Round 2)

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks!