Posted to user@poi.apache.org by ur...@free.fr on 2005/06/22 12:09:07 UTC

Problems with POI and OLD JDK

Hello,

I work on IBM AS/400 (os V4R5) with WebSphere 2.0.2, a JVM version 1.1.8 !
wouhou !
[I can't update the JVM]

I need to use API POI to create XLS files with a servlet.
I compile POI 2.5.1 Source Code with the last J2SDK [on local] to generate class
files that will work with my jvm
(cross-compilation -target 1.1).

On local machine, the program test bellow work with JDK 1.4.2_08 [I use IDE
Eclipse 3.0] :

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.FileOutputStream;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFRow;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFSheet;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook;

public class Poi
{

	public static void main(String[] args)
	{
	 try
	 {
	  FileOutputStream fileOut = new FileOutputStream("toto.xls");
	  HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook();
	  HSSFSheet sheet1 = wb.createSheet();
	  HSSFRow row = sheet1.createRow((short)0);
	}
	catch (IOException e)
	{
	 e.printStackTrace();
	 System.out.println(e.getMessage());
	}
	}
}---------------------------------------------------------

And on the server, or on the local machine with the JDK 1.1.8, I have this
exception :
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/HashMap
	at
	at
	at Poi.main(Poi.java:14)

And there, I don't know what to do, BECAUSE I don't want to waste my time
trying to compile HashMap Source Code and surely others class to finally have
something that
doesn't work !!!

Maybe there is a POI version using JDK 1.1.8.......

Pls, give me a solution !!!

Thank YOU !

Frederic.

Re: Problems with POI and OLD JDK

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
This is the tip of the iceberg.  You're going to hit other problems
(string encoding/etc).  We never officially supported JDK 1.1x in the
first place and JDK 1.1x is like >6 years out of date.  That being said,
you may be able to trick around by using GNU Classpath for the extra
collections.  However, I would just give this a miss.  If you can't
update the VM then all the stuff you could do (override boot classpaths
etc) you probably can't do either.  If all of IBMs security faqs and bug
fixes and all didn't convince them to upgrade....

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.