Posted to dev@mrunit.apache.org by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> on 2012/01/10 00:52:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release MRUnit version 0.8.0-incubating

This is an incubator release for Apache MRUnit, version 0.8.0-incubating.

It fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311292&version=12316359

*** Please download, test and vote by [3 working days after sending].

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided
for convenience.

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~brock/mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-candidate-0

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemrunit-031/

The tag to be voted upon:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mrunit/tags/release-0.8.0-incubating/

MRUnit's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mrunit/dist/KEYS

Note that the Incubator PMC needs to vote upon the release after a
successful PPMC vote before any release can be made official.

Re: [VOTE] Release MRUnit version 0.8.0-incubating

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Sebb,

There have indeed been some changes. This is something that IMHO
can be updated on the next release. I've filed a JIRA issue to track it.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRUNIT-52

And will fix it.

Cheers,
Chris

On Jan 10, 2012, at 6:06 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 9 January 2012 23:52, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> This is an incubator release for Apache MRUnit, version 0.8.0-incubating.
>>
>> It fixes the following issues:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311292&version=12316359
>>
>> *** Please download, test and vote by [3 working days after sending].
>>
>> Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided
>> for convenience.
>>
>> Source and binary files:
>> http://people.apache.org/~brock/mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-candidate-0
>>
>> Maven staging repo:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemrunit-031/
>>
>> The tag to be voted upon:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mrunit/tags/release-0.8.0-incubating/
>
> NOTICE says:
> Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> If you have made any substantial changes this year, surely that ought
> to be changed?
>
>> MRUnit's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mrunit/dist/KEYS
>>
>> Note that the Incubator PMC needs to vote upon the release after a
>> successful PPMC vote before any release can be made official.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [VOTE] Release MRUnit version 0.8.0-incubating

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Sebb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Checking release archive against VCS tag (was [VOTE] Release MRUnit version 0.8.0-incubating)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 January 2012 12:35, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:26:49PM +0000, sebb wrote:

>> > I use "svn export" to avoid the .svn directories, then "diff -ur" on the Unix
>> > command line, optionally with "--strip-trailing-cr" when checking .zip
>> > archives.
>>
>> I also normally do a check on the SVN tag to verify that that
>> appropriate SVN properties have been set; that does not work on an
>> exported copy.
>> It's easy enough to ignore the SVN directories (especially since the
>> 1.7 change to the working copy format).
>
> What svn props do you look for?  I'm curious if I'm missing anything.
>
> There's eol-style of course, but that's per file, so there's no way I'm
> checking it on a giant source tree.

I don't check it manually!

> And the actual release archive is an "svn export"

Depends on the build process; it may be repacked from a clean checkout
of the tag.

> (all this assumes svn and not git of course), so whatever svn props
> were there, they're gone now!  It seems like svn props are a development
> issue rather than a release issue, no?

Yes, but if the eolstyle is missing or incorrect, it causes problems
when developers use OSes with different EOLs.
Not only can it make it harder for the developer to use the file, it
can also affect the SVN diff messages, showing diffs where there are
none.

Similarly if binary files don't have the correct mime-type; there have
been occasions when PDFs have been treated as text, which causes diff
messages to be huge and may cause some mail clients to bork.

> Besides, I don't actually care about line endings when performing this QC step
> -- I just want to see that the archive really was exported from the VCS tag.

There's no point for my use-case to both checkout the tag and export
it; once is enough.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:26:49PM +0000, sebb wrote:

> >> I checkout the SVN tag and explode the archive(s) in the same parent
> >> directory, and then use a Gui difference tool (WinDiff) to show the
> >> differences.
> >> Have to ignore SVN directories and (perhaps) EOL differences.
> >
> > I use "svn export" to avoid the .svn directories, then "diff -ur" on the Unix
> > command line, optionally with "--strip-trailing-cr" when checking .zip
> > archives.
>
> I also normally do a check on the SVN tag to verify that that
> appropriate SVN properties have been set; that does not work on an
> exported copy.
> It's easy enough to ignore the SVN directories (especially since the
> 1.7 change to the working copy format).

What svn props do you look for?  I'm curious if I'm missing anything.

There's eol-style of course, but that's per file, so there's no way I'm
checking it on a giant source tree.  And the actual release archive is an "svn
export" (all this assumes svn and not git of course), so whatever svn props

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11 January 2012 18:44, Patrick Hunt <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In this case the files are exactly the same, there is no difference
>>> btw the contents of the two archives (which makes verification
>>> simpler).
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> The source archive(s) should also be checked against the SVN tag.
>
> How is this most easily accomplished? Checkout tag from SVN then
> manually diff against the artifact, or some other way is
> better/easier?

I checkout the SVN tag and explode the archive(s) in the same parent
directory, and then use a Gui difference tool (WinDiff) to show the
differences.
Have to ignore SVN directories and (perhaps) EOL differences.

The biggest problems come from different directory layouts in SVN and
the archive.
Also the SVN $Date variable is locale-dependent so causes spurious
differences; don't use it!

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11 January 2012 18:06, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11 January 2012 17:49, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> +1 sig/xsum match up, tested clean and RAT reports fine.
>>>
>>> It's a bit odd to me that there are two source release artifacts here
>>> (one archived with tar/gz the other with zip), I've not seen that for
>>> other projects. Typically you want to have a single source release
>>> artifact. You could then create "convenience artifacts" off that.
>>
>> Having multiple archive types is very common in other ASF projects.
>>

> Ok, but that means that we need to verify/vote on both, correct? (we

yes.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
OK, I switch my VOTE to +1. The update worked perfectly:

[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann% curl -O http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/mrunit/KEYS
 % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  5950  100  5950    0     0  56767      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 87500
[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann% gpg --import KEYS
gpg: key 901791C2: "Eric Sammer <es...@apache.org>" not changed
gpg: key 8E991CC5: public key "Brock Noland (CODE SIGNING KEY) <br...@apache.org>" imported
gpg: key B4AE10F8: "Brock Noland (CODE SIGNING KEY) <br...@apache.org>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 3
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
gpg:              unchanged: 2
[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann% $HOME/bin/verify_gpg_sigs
Verifying Signature for file mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Sat Jan  7 13:57:38 2012 PST using RSA key ID 8E991CC5
gpg: Good signature from "Brock Noland (CODE SIGNING KEY) <br...@apache.org>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 2847 DD2B 26E1 A3D8 1949  C883 9DC2 7AFB 8E99 1CC5
Verifying Signature for file mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.asc
gpg: Signature made Sat Jan  7 13:57:38 2012 PST using RSA key ID 8E991CC5
gpg: Good signature from "Brock Noland (CODE SIGNING KEY) <br...@apache.org>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 2847 DD2B 26E1 A3D8 1949  C883 9DC2 7AFB 8E99 1CC5
[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann%

Thanks Brock!

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
I missed  antelders +1 vote and only noticed this today via this link:

http://old.nabble.com/-VOTE--Release-MRUnit-version-0.8.0-incubating-td33113645.html

As such, the vote passes with:

4  +1 Patrick Hunt, Chrs M,  antelder, Brock Noland
0  -1

Patrick Hunt, Chrs M,  antelder are all members of the IPMC

Cheers,
Brock

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me, +1

   ...ant

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
No worries Brock!

I'll check back in a few hours and happily change my VOTE to +1 if
the KEYS look good.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Brock,

I'm -1 on this release.

checksums check out:

mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz       mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.sha1  mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.md5
mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.asc   mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip          mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.sha1
mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.md5   mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.asc
[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann% ls -al
total 576
drwxr-xr-x  10 mattmann  staff     340 Jan 23 10:52 ./
drwxr-xr-x  30 mattmann  staff    1020 Jan 23 10:52 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff  109300 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff     836 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.asc
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff      32 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff      40 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.sha1
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff  158705 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff     836 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.asc
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff      32 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 mattmann  staff      40 Jan 23 10:52 mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.sha1
[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann% $HOME/bin/verify_md5_checksums
mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz: OK
mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip: OK

But, the GPG SIGS don't for whatever reason:

[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann% $HOME/bin/verify_gpg_sigs
Verifying Signature for file mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Sat Jan  7 13:57:38 2012 PST using RSA key ID 8E991CC5
Verifying Signature for file mrunit-0.8.0-incubating-dist.zip.asc
gpg: Signature made Sat Jan  7 13:57:38 2012 PST using RSA key ID 8E991CC5
[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann%

It looks like the releases were signed with key 8E991CC5:

Looking at:

http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/mrunit/KEYS:

[chipotle:~/tmp/mrunit-0.8.0] mattmann% gpg --import < KEYS
gpg: key 901791C2: "Eric Sammer <es...@apache.org>" not changed
gpg: key B4AE10F8: "Brock Noland (CODE SIGNING KEY) <br...@apache.org>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 2
gpg:              unchanged: 2