Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2011/02/09 03:01:41 UTC

Sponsoring Howl as an incubator project

Last week I sent an email proposing that we, the Pig project, sponsor
Howl as an incubator project.  You can see the thread at http://tinyurl.com/4acfut4
.

However, in proposing this I did not realize that I was also proposing
that Howl should become a Pig subproject upon graduation from the
incubator.  (See http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor
  for details).  This has, understandably, caused some confusion in
the Hive community since Howl uses large amounts of their code and is
intended as a shared service between Pig, Hive, and MapReduce.

So, after further consideration, I think it would be better if we ask
the Apache Incubator to sponsor the project.  This way we are not
setting Howl on a trajectory to become a Pig subproject.  However, we
did vote to sponsor it. So, before submitting the proposal without Pig
as a sponsor, I wanted to check with those who voted for it that they
are ok with course of action.

Alan.

Re: Sponsoring Howl as an incubator project

Posted by Julien Le Dem <le...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Agreed.
Julien

On 2/8/11 10:49 PM, "Santhosh Srinivasan" <sm...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

As one of my favorite people says "Sometimes, its just not the letter of the law but the spirit of the law that matters". The intention behind Pig sponsoring Howl as an incubator project was to establish Howl as an independent project with an eventual path to becoming a Top Level Project. In the process it was very nice to see the strong support for the (independent) existence of Howl. Since the (by)law does not allow that to happen its appropriate for Apache Incubator to sponsor the project.

Santhosh

Posted by Santhosh Srinivasan <sm...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.

> So, after further consideration, I think it would be better if we ask the
> Apache Incubator to sponsor the project.

Sounds like the right outcome to me. Glad to hear it.