Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Laszlo Puskas <la...@sequenceiq.com> on 2014/10/30 17:04:36 UTC

Application timeline server doesn't start

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to set up and start the application timeline server with Ambari.
For this i’ve created a blueprint with the appropriate configuration settings.
(I followed the description here: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.1.5/bk_system-admin-guide/content/ch_application-timeline-server.html).

The application history server fails to start due to a permission denied error:

2014-10-30 09:06:37,395 ERROR applicationhistoryservice.FileSystemApplicationHistoryStore (FileSystemApplicationHistoryStore.java:serviceInit(123)) - Error when initializing FileSystemHistoryStorage
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=yarn, access=WRITE, inode="/":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkFsPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:265)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:251)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:232)

I found a workaround by manually adding the yarn user to the hdfs group.

Any idea on what’s wrong?

Ambari version 1.6.0
Hadoop version: 2.4.0

Thanks!

Re: Application timeline server doesn't start

Posted by Laszlo Puskas <la...@sequenceiq.com>.
Hi,

I managed to overcome the problem with the following setting in the yarn-site.xml  (This might not be the perfect solution but it works)

<property>
<name>
yarn.timeline-service.generic-application-history.fs-history-store.uri
</name>
<value>${hadoop.tmp.dir}/yarn/system/history</value>
<source>yarn-site.xml</source>
</property>

Cheers,
Laszlo