Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Addison Huddy <ah...@pivotal.io> on 2018/10/10 15:40:58 UTC

Geode Native & Apache Geode 1.8 Release

Hi,

The Geode Native components (https://github.com/apache/geode-native) have
made tremendous progress since its original donation to Apache.  The
project is nearing a release candidate and I propose that the *first
official release of Geode Native be included in Apache Geode 1.8.*

Since donation, the project has

   - modernized its C++ API based on C++ 11 standards
   - refactored away the cache singleton to allow for more flexible
   architectures and client-side data modeling
   - refactored the serializable interfaces (DataSerializable,
   PdxSerializable, DataSerializableFixedId) to make object serialization
   more straight-forward
   - created several examples on how to use the client (
   https://github.com/apache/geode-native/tree/develop/examples)

In all, the project has closed 285 JIRA tickets since donation.

If you want to learn more about the Geode Native, check out these two
Apache Geode By Example videos.

.NET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQYNJNQ7B4&t=3s

C++: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJciEcFRdtY&t=1s

Looking forward to hearing your input on including the first cut of Geode
Native in Apache Geode 1.8.

Best,
Addison

Re: Geode Native & Apache Geode 1.8 Release

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Yes, I found the examples, but having a top-level guided HelloWorld walk through would be helpful.  I’ll hold this thought until we publish the docs and see what’s there.

Thanks,
Anthony

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Ernest Burghardt <eb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Michael Oleske <mo...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.
Good work team.

Posted by Ernest Burghardt <eb...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for a source release

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
I think starting with a source-only release of the native client is a good first step.  That lets us focus on verifying that all the tasks outlined in [1] are complete and correct.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.