Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Philip Mark DONAGHY <pm...@yahoo.fr> on 2005/03/30 17:31:00 UTC

Building Running Deploying Feedback

Hello,

I've been evaluating the state of Geronimo and I was
able to build, run, and use the debug console, yet I
am blocked on deployment. I've tried ear files from
several vendors and open source projects. Andromda,
Sun j2eetutorial, and Agentis AdaptivEnterprise (my
client;) which supports JBoss. They all have errors.

I use this command to get the server started,

java -jar bin/server.jar
org/apache/geronimo/DebugConsole

When trying to deploy I get the following message,

No deployer present in kernel

I use the deployment command using an AndroMDA ear,

java -jar bin/deployer.jar deploy
~/soft/work/hc3d/hc3d-app-0.3.ear

I've tried restarting the server using,

java -jar bin/server.jar
org/apache/geronimo/RuntimeDeployer

Then the deployment error using the AndroMDA ear is,

Deployment failed
  Server reports:
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Unable
to initialize EJBContainer GBean:
ejbNameArtistAssetService
        Unable to initialize EJBContainer GBean:
ejbNameArtistAssetService

org.openejb.transaction.TransactionPolicySource.getTransactionPolicy(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/openejb/dispatch/InterfaceMethodSignature;)Lorg/openejb/transaction/TransactionPolicyType;

The errors using the Sun j2eetutorial apps
ConverterApp.ear, HelloServiceApp.ear, and BankApp.ear
errors follow.

<<ConverterApp.ear>>
Deployment failed
  Server reports:
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Remote
interface class not found: converter.Converter
        Remote interface class not found:
converter.Converter

<<HelloServiceApp.ear>>
Deployment failed
  Server reports:
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Unable
to initialize EJBContainer GBean:
ejbNameHelloServiceBean
        Unable to initialize EJBContainer GBean:
ejbNameHelloServiceBean

org.openejb.transaction.TransactionPolicySource.getTransactionPolicy(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/openejb/dispatch/InterfaceMethodSignature;)Lorg/openejb/transaction/TransactionPolicyType;

<<BankApp.ear>>
Deployment failed
  Server reports:
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException:
Unknown or ambiguous resource name query:
geronimo.server:J2EEServer=geronimo,J2EEApplication=null,j2eeType=JCAManagedConnectionFactory,name=jdbc/BankDB,*
match count: 0
        Unknown or ambiguous resource name query:
geronimo.server:J2EEServer=geronimo,J2EEApplication=null,j2eeType=JCAManagedConnectionFactory,name=jdbc/BankDB,*
match count: 0

The errors using ear files created using
AdaptivEnterprise follow,

<<AdaptivEnterprise>>
Deployment failed
  Server reports:
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Error
parsing ejb-jar.xml
        Error parsing ejb-jar.xml
        Invalid deployment descriptor: [error: String:
'SimpleProjectTest/SimpleProjectTest-topicmdb' does
not match pattern for ejb-nameType in namespace
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee, error: Key
ejb-name-key@http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee is
missing field with xpath: 'j2ee:ejb-name']

Hmm, the magicGball.ear also fails to deploy, this may
well be user error after all. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

Fedora Core, Debian, Mandrake, Apache, XmlBeans, Castor, Jakarta, Andromda, Firefox, Eclipse, Struts, Ant, Maven, Codehaus, Geronimo

Re: Building Running Deploying Feedback

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
David Jencks wrote:
> The immediate cause of your problems is that if you start geronimo with
> specific configurations listed on the command line you get only those
> configurations and their ancestors.  The runtime deployer is not an
> ancestor of the DebugConsole, so you managed to start a geronimo
> configuration that you cannot deploy anything to.
>
> I don't have any good ideas at the moment how to make this more user
> friendly.

As backgound, the reason for this is to allow a administrator to restart
a broken server by specifying the exact configuration set to run.
Specifying the configs is really a disaster recovery option not meant
for daily use.

One thing we could do is allow you to specify a file containing the
configs - that way we could include a couple of known-good configuration
lists in the distro making it a little easier to recover. Any patch for
this would be appreciated.

The normal way to start a server is simply not to specify any
configurations at all; it then starts the last-known-good config list
(currently that's what was running when it was last shut down cleanly).

--
Jeremy

Re: Building Running Deploying Feedback

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.
The immediate cause of your problems is that if you start geronimo with
specific configurations listed on the command line you get only those
configurations and their ancestors.  The runtime deployer is not an
ancestor of the DebugConsole, so you managed to start a geronimo
configuration that you cannot deploy anything to.

I don't have any good ideas at the moment how to make this more user
friendly.

I suggest you either start geronimo with no configurations listed on
the command line or also include org/apache/geronimo/RuntimeDeployer

I think "no configs" will give you better results -- there are several
other configurations such as the db that you probably want :-)  The
list of configurations started automatically if none are listed is in
var/config/config.list.  Adding the debug console to this list may be
the easiest solution.

What is built and included in the default startup needs more thought
and a good deal of cleaning up.

thanks
david jencks