Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/07 00:48:52 UTC

Delete Kafka 0.8 support

Hi, team.

We are readying release announcement for Zipkin 2.13 (it is pending
IPMC vote still). I think we should say this is the last version we
publish Kafka 0.8 support.

I can't find any support matrix from Kafka, but it is very old, almost
4 years old since last release of Kafka 0.8. Removing this will
improve our build times which are close to the limits. It will also
reduce the size of our docker image and the complexity of creating it.

Note that this does not mean remove Kafka, Just brokers before version 0.10.

WDYT?
-Adrian

Re: Delete Kafka 0.8 support

Posted by Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya <qu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Haven't work with Kafka <1.0 for a while. As example, Confluent (Kafka
distribution) is ending support for Kafka 0.11 (Confluent 3.3) on August
1st, keeping only >1.0 supported onward:
https://docs.confluent.io/current/installation/versions-interoperability.html

Jorge.

Re: Delete Kafka 0.8 support

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback folks. We didn't do a formal vote, but it
seems we don't need one as so many are on the same page.

Re: Delete Kafka 0.8 support

Posted by José Carlos Chávez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Delete Kafka 0.8 support

Posted by Brian Devins-Suresh <ba...@gmail.com>.