Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2005/05/18 08:58:54 UTC

Recent spam

All,

Just a quick update on the recent issues.

1. The spam with German subject messages has been blocked by the
infrastructure folks updating the anti-spam rules on the Apache list
servers.

2. The New Atlanta List Server messages were blocked by me as soon as I
saw them (Monday evening UK time). Due to the load on the list servers
the unsubscribe message took about 10 hours to get through and another
10 hours to confirm. Since (as much as I'd like not to have to work for
a living) I don't monitor my Apache e-mail 24x7 it wasn't sometime early
Wednesday morning (UK time) that the messages were finally blocked.

A couple of more general points about spam:
1. Sending messages of the form "Is anyone else getting this spam?" only
makes matters worse. If you want to check what is appearing on the list,
use one of the list archives available on the web.

2. If you think the list owners haven't noticed a problem, send a
message to tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org. Chances are we have
seen the problem and are on the case but an extra heads up never hurt.

Mark
(one of)
tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org