Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/10/12 01:20:52 UTC

[VOTE] The 6th hbase-0.96.0 release candidate is available for download

hbase-0.96.0 will be our next major release.  It is intended to supplant
the 0.94.x series.

hbase-0.96.0RC5 is our sixth hbase-0.96.0 release candidate.

The signed tarballs are available here:

 http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.96.0RC5<http://people.apache.org/~stack/0.96.0RC5/>
/ <http://people.apache.org/~stack/0.96.0RC5/>

Note that hbase-0.96.0 comes in two flavors; a build that includes and runs
on hadoop-1.x and another for hadoop-2.x.  You must chose the hbase that
suits your hadoop context.

Both sets of hbase artifacts, for hadoop1 and for hadoop2, are available in
this maven staging repo:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-165/

More than 2k issues [1][2][3][4] are attributed to this version (counting
fixes done against this and the 0.95.x developer series of releases).  More
than 250 fixes have been committed since 0.95.2.  Synopsis of the main
changes between 0.94.x and 0.96.x will follow soon.

Please take it for a spin.  We are interested in any issues found but in
particular, we would appreciate feedback on how well the migration of a
0.94.x dataset to run under 0.96.0 works [5].

Should this candidate become hbase-0.96.0?  Please vote +/-1 by Friday,
October 18th.

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. 0.96.0 266 issues http://goo.gl/wLmu1Y
2. 0.95.2 340 issues http://goo.gl/4djjE9
3. 0.95.1 265 issues http://goo.gl/TcdckW
4. 0.95.0 1263 issues http://goo.gl/Iqcx2i
2. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#upgrade0.96

Re: [VOTE] The 6th hbase-0.96.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@hortonworks.com>.
Is anybody else testing the RC? It has been 6 days since the cut.

Apart from HBASE-9775, are there more concerns? Elliot / Nicolas, any
update on the test?

Enis

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1.
I've downloaded the released, deployed it. Ran YCSB, kills the nodes. I've
ran a trunk client vs. the RC5, it works.
As Elliott on the good news, the modules, the recovery, MTTR ( ;-), ...
As him, I don't see any open issue that would break the wire compatibility.
We will need to fix the bad news he mentions. This is doable in a point
release.

I think it would be great to deliver now our 96.0 and do as the 0.94: a
minor release per month.

Thanks all,

Nicolas

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Reminder that closes tomorrow.
Thanks,
St.Ack

Posted by Dave Wang <ds...@cloudera.com>.
Woo hoo!

- Dave

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Congratulations, this is massive.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> Vote passes.  5 +1s and one -0.
>
> I'll push the release out in the morning.
>
> Thanks,
> St.Ack
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > hbase-0.96.0 will be our next major release.  It is intended to supplant
> > the 0.94.x series.
> >
> > hbase-0.96.0RC5 is our sixth hbase-0.96.0 release candidate.
> >
> > The signed tarballs are available here:
> >
> >  http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.96.0RC5<
> http://people.apache.org/~stack/0.96.0RC5/>
> > / <http://people.apache.org/~stack/0.96.0RC5/>
> >
> > Note that hbase-0.96.0 comes in two flavors; a build that includes and
> > runs on hadoop-1.x and another for hadoop-2.x.  You must chose the hbase
> > that suits your hadoop context.
> >
> > Both sets of hbase artifacts, for hadoop1 and for hadoop2, are available
> > in this maven staging repo:
> >
> >   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-165/
> >
> > More than 2k issues [1][2][3][4] are attributed to this version (counting
> > fixes done against this and the 0.95.x developer series of releases).
> >  More than 250 fixes have been committed since 0.95.2.  Synopsis of the
> > main changes between 0.94.x and 0.96.x will follow soon.
> >
> > Please take it for a spin.  We are interested in any issues found but in
> > particular, we would appreciate feedback on how well the migration of a
> > 0.94.x dataset to run under 0.96.0 works [5].
> >
> > Should this candidate become hbase-0.96.0?  Please vote +/-1 by Friday,
> > October 18th.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > St.Ack
> >
> > 1. 0.96.0 266 issues http://goo.gl/wLmu1Y
> > 2. 0.95.2 340 issues http://goo.gl/4djjE9
> > 3. 0.95.1 265 issues http://goo.gl/TcdckW
> > 4. 0.95.0 1263 issues http://goo.gl/Iqcx2i
> > 2. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#upgrade0.96

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] The 6th hbase-0.96.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Vote passes.  5 +1s and one -0.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

I downloaded the candidate.  Tried it locally.  I tried the published maven
artifacts in a little hbase-downstreamer project to ensure a simple hadoop1
or hadoop2 app basically works.

I have been babysitting the smaller cluster hbase-it runs that Elliott
mentioned above.  They pass half the time.  The failed half are because of
issues in the test code rather than in core.

Lets fix the Elliott mentioned client issue in a point release.  My guess
is that it won't make a 0.96.1 since I plan on rolling this in a week or so
w/ pointers to released hadoop2 and test fixes but hopefully soon after.

I'll let the vote run till the end of today.
St.Ack